Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Low rider willy 9 years 7 months ago #31319

I'm not familiar with 4/5 Sub C cells, but being an obscure size I suppose it makes sense that they'd be behind on capacity ...

Capacity has nothing to do with discharge rate, if you think of capacity in terms of a fuel tank, then battery discharge rate is analogous to fuel flow rate - a bigger bore fuel line or a bigger fuel pump...

:)

BTW Wheeler Advan tyres are considered to be unobtanium, it might be worth looking into using a set of the more common Ascona/Quattro tyres as a means of avoiding biting your fist in a few months time when you really, really need a set for a Wheeler - they're a direct fit.

PPS I don't like the mock-up at all - it doesn't look quite as stupid as the time I put 1:10 scale touring car wheels on a Super Clodbuster, but it's not far off. :S All that exposed suspension is definitely in modern 3-speed highlift model class. :sick:
I know Scorcher/Grasshopper rear tyres will fit on WW M38 wheels with a bit of persuasion, I'm sure Brat tyres would too - that would give a semi road, slightly lowered look without going all the way.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Low rider willy 9 years 7 months ago #31320

With the c cells (these are old crap ones) in this way, they're about 1.5-2.0mm to high. Brushless motor almost fits straight in, needs work. ESC will be in 'fuel cell'

Brushless in an M38 Willy??? :ohmy: Isn't that going to be a bit mental? Will the gearbox stand it?

Low rider willy 9 years 7 months ago #31322

Brushless in an M38 Willy??? :ohmy: Isn't that going to be a bit mental? Will the gearbox stand it?

Brushless does not have to mean warp speed, although the 3000kv rating here does mean 21,600 rpm at a nominal 7.2v, probably more than is ideal ... however, with small wheels the std Wild Willy gearbox will result in the motor going NNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! & the car going very slowly ... unless nod has plans to change it out for a Wheeler/Ascona one instead?

The Willy diff. is very tough (and replaceable as it's shared with the Lunchbox/Grasshopper et al), and although there is a lot of metal in the gearbox, you've got to wonder about the gears grenading after years of exposure to oil & grease :(

Low rider willy 9 years 7 months ago #31324

• nodtec
  • nodtec's Avatar Topic Author
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
I just sold a rear set of ascona tyres, only because I couldn't find fronts to match.

I didn't know the Wheeler ran a different ratio, which gears are different?

JR, to be quite honest it's not looking as good as it did in my head, it's not possible to get body any lower without major surgery. I don't want to modify the body at all, they're too few.
I was hoping for a Tamtech Jimny look.

That was why I wanted to mock it up before doing anything irreversable. I tried a M38 body on my tamtech gear but it was too heavy. I'll have to put more thought into it, or maybe less thought, as in, forget it. :unsure:
Attachments:

Low rider willy 9 years 7 months ago #31326

I just sold a rear set of ascona tyres, only because I couldn't find fronts to match.

I didn't know the Wheeler ran a different ratio, which gears are different?

JR, to be quite honest it's not looking as good as it did in my head, it's not possible to get body any lower without major surgery. I don't want to modify the body at all, they're too few.
I was hoping for a Tamtech Jimny look.

That was why I wanted to mock it up before doing anything irreversable. I tried a M38 body on my tamtech gear but it was too heavy. I'll have to put more thought into it, or maybe less thought, as in, forget it. :unsure:

Wheeler/Ascona/Quattro have a bigger motor pinion (not sure of the number of teeth TBH :blush: ) & the top gearbox section backplate is different so the idler gear can be moved out to accommodate it (TBH that's not as different as I thought it might be, :blush: again as it hasn't been that long since I wrote this: tamiyabase.com/...sions.html).

Don't let me put you off (but I suspect you were already losing faith with the idea), I just think the nature of the WW chassis means it either need big wheels to fit with the exposed suspension, or fully enclosed bodywork to hide it all - I was just pointing out a possible middle ground in case it hadn't already occurred to you :)

Hmmm ... fully enclosed bodywork ... there must be all manner of small, 1970s/80s Euro & US angular, slab sided 1:1 cars (mk.1 Ford Fiesta, mk.1 VW Golf, Austin Metro, AMC Gremlin, etc etc) or modern Japanese Kei class cars you could take inspiration from? I should have stopped there, because carrying this train of thought through to its logical conclusion, now I want to build a wheelying Suzuki Super Carry :D

Low rider willy 9 years 7 months ago #31327

• nodtec
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Funny you mention suzuki super carry, I had one, you needed to be careful on roundabouts. :woohoo:

I was a bit disapointed after mocking it up, just thought I'd get some other opinions.

The different gearing must have to do with the extra shaft holes in gear box, the right 'wheeler' gear would be rare as, yes?

As for it handling the brushless set up would, (A) the slipper clutch in the box take any 'shock' out of it and (B) most of my cars are 99% display toys for me to look at, they get tested and rarely run. (sad, I know) :blush:

I'll look at it a bit longer but alas it's not growing on me. I can always use the running gear and motor set up in my chrome Wheeler, as It hasn't any chassis etc.

]
Attachments:

Low rider willy 9 years 7 months ago #31328

...I was a bit disapointed after mocking it up, just thought I'd get some other opinions. ...

I really liked your lowrider Willy on the shortened TL01 chassis. I'd keep going with that if I were you.

Low rider willy 9 years 7 months ago #31332

Great, he has the body (chrome wheeler) and the chassis with wheels, why dont you just mate them together. and there's your Willy low rider. tada :laugh:

Duh! never noticed that the chrome body came with chrome wheels or is that a custom job?

Low rider willy 9 years 7 months ago #31347

• nodtec
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild

I really liked your lowrider Willy on the shortened TL01 chassis. I'd keep going with that if I were you.

Canned that one, it's in the for sales now.
These are things I experiment with in the shed, I usually just do a mock up and decide myself but having joined TB, I have others to bounce the ideas off.
As JR hinted, maybe Willy should just stick to his Honda when hitting the tarmac.
I like customising them but am reluctant to cut them about so if the idea sucks, I can put it back to std.
I've looked at it more and have decided to keep the lowered chassis And fit a wheeler body.
The chrome wheels are custom, as is body. Did they make a chrome Wheeler?

Last edit: by larbut. Reason: fixed the quote
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.