Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11481

I've also had the same problem with screws/nuts for wheels, in fact, it seems impossible to source those Tamiya-style phillips/slotted screws from anywhere else (Love to know where they buy them from).
There's a guy trading on Ebay (Victor101) who's quite handy for knowing what screw bags for what model would have suitable quantities of your screw requirements.
What we really need is someone to have picked up on this & offer bags of Tamiya screws sorted by size rather than by model, I'm surprised nobody's done that yet. Guess it's due to the problems sourcing that style of fastener, & obviously vintage Tamiya screw bags are always gonna make more money than bags of useful screws!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11482

Thinking about it, probably your best/cheapest bet would be to buy stainless phillips head screws, & run a hacksaw across the head so they look like Tamiya ones, maybe dip the heads in yellow printer ink to get the colour.... ok a tedious suggestion for the die-hards. You'll struggle doing this with self-tappers though, as they're too hard to attack with a saw (Dremel with a cutting disc?).
Nuts aren't a problem, they can be had from loads of different places (eg Ebay, engineering suppliers, RS etc)

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11485

@ Ratchet - your nuts .. pause for Two Ronnies reference to sink in ;) .. (along with the M2 cap head screws for the wheels, wheels & tyres) went in the post this morning.

I'm cheap so I sent them 2nd class, so I guess they'll arrive on Saturday :)

No problem - my first RC car was a Grasshopper that gradually got upgraded/repaired into a Hornet, so I have a bit of a soft spot for this chassis :)

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11487

Same here, Grasshoppers are fantastic! Not so sure about the Hornet suspension "upgrade" though, after watching my brother lash out for the upgrade, fit it, run it once, then go back to the Grasshopper setup. We found the Hornet setup was too soft with too much body roll, which slowed it down in the corners. Sure the 'Hopper bounced around the bends, but it did it a whole lot quicker & without the rollovers of the Hornet.
I think if I were to have another bash at improving 'Hopper suspension, it would be to just replace the springboxes with proper dampers, maybe add a proper front shock tower, but certainly leave the gearbox pivot setup alone, unles I could think of an easy effective way to control the body roll of a fully live axle setup, maybe restricted 4-link like the CC01

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.