Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11038

TBH I'm not sure what I'd do with that if that was mine - one of two ways probably:

1- for the shelf: new chassis, new body, new tyres, new body & decals (+ make your own sponsor logos);

2- for running - strip, wash/clean & rebuild with bearings, ESC & swap out the radio gear for modern stuff, find some cheap replacement tyres ... then thrash the badword off it, old skool style until it breaks completely :D :y:

I'll have a look through my spare box & see what I've got though :)

I do have to disagree with what's been said re the windows though - the front & rear windows, along with the fiddly front vents, most of the rear window & large rear vents were precut on the original, you just had to cut out the wing & the bottom edge of the shell, and drill all the holes for the various fittings.

The re-re is the same, with the exception of the rear window which is not cut out, and the screw holes are pre-punched.

That's not just my (admittedly sometimes faulty) memory - I did have a look at the manuals too :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11039

I'll have a look through my spare box & see what I've got though :)

Well that was a lot less productive than I'd hoped ... but I did find:

Matched pair of used vintage gearbox halves, with driveshafts + the metal collar space for the left hand one, the spur gear shaft (but no spur gear), the three small gears & shafts that go inside the main diff gear (but not the main diff gear itself, or the tiny shaft it runs on), and the two gear that fit on the end of the driveshafts, and the "OIL" port cover.
The underside does have a few scratches but nothing too bad, but the insides are abosolutely minging with grease - whoever built it must have used the whole tube in there, possibly two :S

Four used rear hubs (these usually crack & fall apart due people over-torqueing the rear wheel nuts) - two have minor cracks but I'm sure would last some time, two don't have any cracks;

Pair of rear wheels with the correct spiked tyres on ***edit - sorry, these haved been baggsied by someone else***

Pair of front wheels (no tyres) with all (manky looking) screws & nuts, one has a little "kerbing" damage, both has one small crack on the outer in the usual places; again I'm pretty sure these are re-re;

Pair of vintage front tyres; these have significant wear to the tread and the sidewalls, and significant (though not deep) signs of perishing in form of crazing/cracking. One is worse than the other, but overall they are way better than what you've got ATM ;)

If you're interested in any of that I can take some pics & we can talk prices :)

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11046

TBH I'm not sure what I'd do with that if that was mine - one of two ways probably:

1- for the shelf: new chassis, new body, new tyres, new body & decals (+ make your own sponsor logos);

2- for running - strip, wash/clean & rebuild with bearings, ESC & swap out the radio gear for modern stuff, find some cheap replacement tyres ... then thrash the badword off it, old skool style until it breaks completely :D :y:

i think it may be somewhere between those two, i could get it looking good enough to shelf but id end up replacing 90% of it and would be cheaper buying a new one..... and it will be a runner, so i will be fitting modern radio gear and a esc, and fixing/replacing the chassis, but the rest will remain original, well other then the wheels, might replace the body at soem point though.....

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11188

so this came through the post today

new chassis and 'A' parts tree

so set about stripping the car down, turned out its not in to bad condition, was just with 20+ years of dirt on it wheels are in ok condition too, but the nylon bearings are shot, will be replacing the bearings with roller ones anyway, front spindles surprisingly good:

at this point my camer battery went flat, so no more pics for now :I

anyway stripped it all down, stuck all the small parts in a bucket of soapy water and gave them a good scrub, they came up pretty well, no missing parts either which is a shock, par one rubber o-ring in a front damper.

after that i started assembling all the bits onto the new chassis, surprising how simple these models are in comparison to some.

despite gettign new lower arms etc on the a parts tree i decided to reuse the old ones as there in ok condition, little scraped but this is going to be a runner so i thought id keep the new ones for spares as they will only get scratched up anyway...

Got all the chassis built back up, the rear drivetrain is still in a bucket of cleaning solution as it was filthy, no idea what the internals will be like

weirdly enough the 'broken' chassis isn't actually broken, has been hacked about a fair bit at the front but its intact? guess whoever butchered it assumed they had weakened it enough to warent covering the front of it in araldite, .. no idea really, so if anyone wants a damaged but probably reparable hornet chassis i have one

Will put up a for sale advert as im selling the old rc gear and servos too as im going for modern gear and an esc, the receiver didn't seem to be working too well, and the transmitter is in sad shape. but the servos are fine, guess someone may want them?

Last edit: by Ratchet.

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11193

Yes, they're nice and simple. But good looking and very effective. :)
Needs less bearings than you have fingers (under normal circumstances).
I think the servos might still be very useful with the modern gear.
Can't hurt to have some basher parts around...

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11203

I'm interested in the complete Acoms radio gear (& MSC) if you're flogging it - think of a number & lemme know, ta

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11208

Yes, they're nice and simple. But good looking and very effective. :)
Needs less bearings than you have fingers (under normal circumstances).
I think the servos might still be very useful with the modern gear.
Can't hurt to have some basher parts around...

yeah far less than the 14 or so i had to use on my blitzer, four for the wheels i guess + whatever the gearbox needs

i did think of keeping the servos, but there the type with the wires permanently affixed, and the plugs are seemingly different from the newer type so there better of going to someone who needs them.

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11210

You can buy pretty good servos for not too much nowadays. :y:
I did not see the wire connection...
There's something to say for keeping the stuff together as a nice vintage lot as well.

If I am not mistaken, the total amount of bearings for the Hornet is 9x1150 and 1x850. :)

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11211

I'm interested in the complete Acoms radio gear (& MSC) if you're flogging it - think of a number & lemme know, ta

sure, im flogging all the radio gear that came with it, the servos are decent, other than one broke nmountign lug and that the screws have been overtightened at some point reciver and transmitter are an unknown quantity really, receiver 'seemed' to work, transmitter has the top broken off of the arial but other wise in ok shape, didn't seem to work correctly though

The msc isn't in too good condition btw, it wasn't working correctly (probably needed adjusting), and the resistor terminals snapped off when i tried to detach them, plus the wiring has been hacked about, the actual board and terminals look ok though :unsure:

does about
Attachments:

Last edit: by Ratchet.

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11213

Condition doesn't matter to me - if I can't get it working/usable, it's a good pile of spares to keep my gear going! Yep

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.