Keyword

TOPIC:

58041 Frog resto 2 years 8 months ago #68012

Overall it's something of a conundrum - filthy, melted, corroded, rotted out & a bit battered, but look how clean the pinion & shock oil are.

It's almost as though it was given an absolute hammering in wet, muddy & rocky environment - but only at low speed, and only once, after which it was put away until very recently. :confused:

One 3mm x 8mm step screw is missing from the underside of one of the front uprights, but these are used unchanged on most later & re-re ORV chassis cars :) 

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

58041 Frog resto 2 years 7 months ago #68039

All the bits cleaned polished, rusty antennas straightened, sanded down & chemically reblued, new wheels, tyres & driveshaft boots. Resistors are the right size but aren't quite the correct values (and the terminals needed grinding right down), resistor wires have just had heatshrink on the melted ends rather than proper rewiring, and I suspect there is something wrong with the diff. With the rotten wiring it's never going to run as it sits so I don't feel too bad about not investigating/fixing that.

Body is a Penguin repro which doesn't have the switch hole on the rear window so I had to cut that out. Masking for the black roof bars & area under the wing is a faff, but using the Tamiya re-re decals feels like a cop out and I can't brush the lines straight enough. I'll have to re-mask the front window (& the coloured lower portion of the the body) but the side & rear window masking should stay in place for the white spray.

I will use the vintage driver, but had to buy a re-re sprue for the missing top bit in the helmet, and the lights.

The lettering on these tyres is much easier with a pen, so that can wait until I get another one :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, AndyAus, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, silvertriple, jord001, Ducksnuts

58041 Frog resto 2 years 7 months ago #68048

Body part peeled & re-masked for white spray:

Sprayed white, peeled & ready for the colour stripe:

I'll call this Pond Scum Green 3, being the mix of PC Green, Yellow & White I had from the last Frog, with a bit of extra Green as it was a bit light, and I thought it might not go far enough...

Decals are a mix of re-re, machine cut & spares left over from other builds ... not the most efficient way of doing it, but way cheaper than a repro set :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, silvertriple, jord001

58041 Frog resto 2 years 7 months ago #68068

Finishing touches: decals on, driver painted & tyres lettered :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, AndyAus, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, silvertriple, jord001, Ducksnuts

58041 Frog resto 2 years 7 months ago #68069

Nice work!

That said, each time I see a frog, i'm looking at the windscreen, which is cut in a way that flies would arrive directly in driver's face. That would have been much more logical in a way, if they included a visor to the helmet of the driver.. 
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Last edit: by silvertriple.

58041 Frog resto 2 years 7 months ago #68070

The feog is always nice. Pink, red, green.... 

58041 Frog resto 2 years 7 months ago #68071

Like the Marui Hunter which used the same type of color scheme :-)
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

58041 Frog resto 2 years 7 months ago #68072

Yes same spirit.

58041 Frog resto 2 years 7 months ago #68076

Great work JR!

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.