Keyword

TOPIC:

Tamiya Toyota Tom's "1985" 12 years 1 month ago #8236

HI!... Tamiya Toyota Tom's "1985" This one needs to be restored. It looks like the previous owner installed some kind of after market rear mono shock on it. I'll be on the hunt for a original. It's missing two deck mounts in the middle. I just ordered a vintage NIP body set with decals for it. :P

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Tamiya Toyota Tom's "1985" 12 years 2 weeks ago #8852

HI!... O.k I started to put the TOM's back together today after receiving some new parts. I got a new body and it's all painted and decaled. Now after buying a new body post kit I've noticed that there is no holes in the lower deck to put the 2ND set of chassis support posts. After a bit of research I found out that this is a MK 5 chassis and not a MK7 chassis like on my Porsche 956.

My question is :

Did the 1985 Toyota Tom's car ever come with the MK5 chassis? All the instruction books I find are for a MK7 chassis. I talked to the previous owner and he swears it's all original except for the rear shock which was a after market upgrade. Other guys have told me that the very 1st production run had the MK5 chassis due to Tamiya trying to get rid of old stock. If this is true does that make this Tom's even rarer?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Re: Tamiya Toyota Tom's "1985" 12 years 2 weeks ago #8853

There seem to be some mix up here..
The 956 has the Mk.5 chassis, the Toms has the Mk.6 and the Newman has the Mk.7.

I have never heard of any mixing of chassis types between the three models. It is much more likely that the previous owners has replaced parts or body along the way.
Spare parts for these chassis are largely interchangeable.

The Toms was issued 14 months after the 956, and the Newman only two moths after the Toms
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: Tamiya Toyota Tom's "1985" 12 years 2 weeks ago #8854

HI!... O.k I'm getting a bit of conflicting information from different sources. I was told that the lower chassis on the left was a MK5 and the chassis on the right is a MK7. Since the two chassis types are almost identical except for the slight shape difference in the lower chassis deck, what different from the MK5/MK7 in the MK6???????? BTW the chassis on the left is from my Toyota Tom's and the chassis on the right is from a NIB Newman Porsche 956. So the Tom's should have the same lower chassis deck as the Porsche? Correct?

Last edit: by THE H.P FREAK.

Re: Tamiya Toyota Tom's "1985" 12 years 2 weeks ago #8856

:huh: Looks like a Mk5 on the left and a Mk6 on the right...
A Mk7 should have this shape :

Attachments:

Re: Tamiya Toyota Tom's "1985" 12 years 2 weeks ago #8857

:blush: Got it all wrong. Looking at the upper deck. :whistle:

Can you confirm the gears are 0.6 module btw? :)

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Tamiya Toyota Tom's "1985" 12 years 2 weeks ago #8858

I'll have another go. :lol:
The blister packs of the Mk6 and Mk7 appear to be the very same, with SA14 listed as the chassis.
That of the 58042 has quite a different content.

Attachments:

Re: Tamiya Toyota Tom's "1985" 12 years 2 weeks ago #8859

:huh: Looks like a Mk5 on the left and a Mk6 on the right...
A Mk7 should have this shape :

HI!... The upper mechanism deck is the same on both the Porsche 956 and the Tom's cars I have here. It's the lower chassis decks that are different. According to the manual the Newman Porsche 956 is all correct and the Tom's lower chassis deck is wrong. The Tom's lower chassis deck should be like the Porsche 956 according to the manuals. So basically the two cars run the exact same chassis's according to the two original Tamaya manuals I have here that came with the cars.

I have a brand NIB Tamiya Rothman's Porsche 956 coming soon that I just bought from a fellow collector. It's still in the box and never been assembled. I'll be interested in seeing what chassis is on it compared to these two.

Does anyone on here have a original Toyota Tom's car they can take some good detailed pics of?

Re: Tamiya Toyota Tom's "1985" 12 years 2 weeks ago #8865

HI!... Anyway I figured out that the TOM's has the WRONG lower chassis deck. So I bought the correct one a few minutes ago.

Re: Tamiya Toyota Tom's "1985" 12 years 2 weeks ago #8866

Yeah sorry, I was working on the pinion list...
It was indeed a Mk5 and should be a Mk6, which is the same as the Mk7. :side:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.