Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Tamiya Toyota Tom's "1985" 12 years 2 weeks ago #8869

This is the basis for an article coming up in the blog section, but here are the highlights of the Mk.5, 6 & 7 differences:

Mk.5 (956) vs Mk.6 (Toms)
- Mk.5 has only two upper and lower deck posts, in metal at the rear. Mk.6 has four, in plastic, the extra pair is placed on the middle, near the MSC
- Mk.5 use hex socket head screws for the two body posts, the Mk.6 use normal Phillips screws.
- Upper deck on Mk.5 does not have the screw holes for the second pair of posts.
- Mk.5 has the black motor with blue endbell, Mk.6 a normal silver can
- Mk.5 lower deck has the "narrow/long" front hole in the deck. and all holes are different as well. Mk.5 Lower deck is also missing screw holes for second pair of body posts.
- "Gear Case Stay" (rear support for damper) is FRP on Mk.5 and in aluminum on Mk.6
- Screw for rear damper adjustment is aluminum on Mk.5, plastic on Mk.6
- Damper adjustment spring is long on Mk.5 and short on Mk.6
- Body posts are different

Differences between Mk.6 (Toms) and Mk.7 (Newman)
- As far as I know, only the body posts. Mk6 has black ones, Mk.7 has white ones, rears in a different shape also.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Tamiya Toyota Tom's "1985" 12 years 2 weeks ago #8870

HI!... Anyway I figured out that the TOM's has the WRONG lower chassis deck. So I bought the correct one a few minutes ago.

This is a Mk.6 / 7 lower deck. (for Toms and Newman)

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.

Re: Tamiya Toyota Tom's "1985" 12 years 2 weeks ago #8880

Differences between Mk.6 (Toms) and Mk.7 (Newman)
- As far as I know, only the body posts. Mk6 has black ones, Mk.7 has white ones, rears in a different shape also.

-Lars

HI!... As far as I know the Tom's uses white body posts in the rear. The white ones are hollow to allow the rear wing wire support to slide in. The black ones are solid plastic not allowing this.

Re: Tamiya Toyota Tom's "1985" 12 years 2 weeks ago #8888

HI!... O.k I just found out that they made a special Toyota Tom's back then. It had the Leyton House optional body kit. This is the exact body that came on mine when I bought it. Also if you look at the chassis in the link below it has all aluminum body mount posts. Mine also came with that too. It also has no mid point deck supports and has a MK5 lower chassis deck. The car in the link was built from a NIB kit. I'm pretty sure this is what I have. If so now I have to switch everything back. Dam!

www.tamiyaclub....10&id=6054

Last edit: by THE H.P FREAK.

Re: Tamiya Toyota Tom's "1985" 12 years 2 weeks ago #8891

HI!... O.k I just found out that they made a special Toyota Tom's back then. It had the Leyton House optional body kit. This is the exact body that came on mine when I bought it. Also if you look at the chassis in the link below it has all aluminum body mount posts. Mine also came with that too. It also has no mid point deck supports and has a MK5 lower chassis deck. The car in the link was built from a NIB kit. I'm pretty sure this is what I have. If so now I have to switch everything back. Dam!

www.tamiyaclub....10&id=6054

So what you have is a 956 (Mk.5) with a Leyton House body set. There was no "special Toyota Toms" as a kit, it was a spare body set called Toyota Toms 85C-L (the kit version is 84C) ( Spare part number 50206 )

The above picture is a perfect 956 chassis except the rear body posts which presumably are from the Layton House Body set. :)

-Lars

Re: Tamiya Toyota Tom's "1985" 12 years 2 weeks ago #8893

HI!... Well the guy in the link I posted said his was bought as a NIB kit. So it was sold as a Toyota Tom's with the LEYTON HOUSE body kit. I tried searching on EBAY and couldn't find anything so I take it the body is extremely rare. The one I have is in mint condition. I just need to find a LEYTON HOUSE decal sheet for it. That's going to be basically impossible I think. :(

Re: Tamiya Toyota Tom's "1985" 12 years 1 week ago #8897

The description in the link you gave says "with the Leyton House optional body kit" so I am sure he meant NIB body kit.
I have never seen or heard of a Leyton House kit, and it is very unlikely as long as the Spare part Body Set was made.

The Leyton House (actually called Tom's 85-C-L) body sets turn up regularly on ebay. The one below has been on ebay since early April, and is not sold yet. The last auction ended without a buyer last week:

-Lars

Re: Tamiya Toyota Tom's "1985" 12 years 4 hours ago #9184

HI!... Well I got the new body all done.

Re: Tamiya Toyota Tom's "1985" 11 years 11 months ago #9192

VERY nicely done!
The Tom's is one of my favourite Lexan bodies.

Re: Tamiya Toyota Tom's "1985" 11 years 11 months ago #9193

HI!... Ya I decided to go box art on this one. That's why the rear spoiler and front air splitters are black instead of silver/grey. I think it looks much better that way. As of now I have 5 bodies still to do and no time to do them. lol!

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.