TOPIC:

Mardave Apache basket case 11 years 2 weeks ago #20942

It's like a baby Marauder!

Go on, you know you want one!

Scored some more bits recently.
A ropey bodyshell:

"Interesting" lights :whistle:

Damage on the front.

Not sure if I will be able to glue this as is does not look like styrene - more like the shiny plastic used on the Holiday Buggy. Any tips?

Someone has had a go at plastic welding:

A bunch of random parts which all look new, including the added bonus of some NIP fake exhausts that I was missing! I am guessing these are incredibly rare and I was thinking about making some out of ally tube.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mardave Apache basket case 11 years 2 weeks ago #20943

I'd like to preserve the decals at least well enough to scan and reprint them. Any tips on removing them safely?

Mardave Apache basket case 11 years 2 weeks ago #20967

Those lights are pretty Heath Robinson :blink:

No idea about getting decals off safely, I really don't have a very good track record in that department :blush: There was a recent discussion about it though, IIRC there was mention of various 3m products, including one that would remove the adhesive?

Mardave Apache basket case 11 years 1 week ago #20986

I use a hairdryer on the reverse side of the shell to warm things up, & slide a stanley/scalpel blade carefully under the decal to gently lift it. Trick is to not over-harass it or it'll split or stretch. Any leftover goo on the body can be removed with WD40, but if your heat/method is right the goo should remain on the decal & in most cases you can re-apply it (Sometimes a tiny dab of CA is needed for goo-less corners).

Welding is your only option for joining polyethylene body parts (Or unsightly plates/nuts/bolts etc), you won't find a permanent gluing option.

Had thought several times about getting one, then remembered I've had 2x Marauders & they're god-awful things, which quickly restored my sanity!

Mardave Apache basket case 11 years 1 week ago #21128

The decals came off pretty easily with the help of a hairdryer - thanks Eddrick.

Is there any way I can test what sort of plastic it is?
Any idea where I could find some compatible plastic to repair it? The bleach bottle in my bathroom is PE and a similar colour. Could I use that?

Mardave Apache basket case 10 years 11 months ago #21886

Any idea where I could find some compatible plastic to repair it? The bleach bottle in my bathroom is PE and a similar colour. Could I use that?

Anyone?

If I need to weld it, do I have to use the same plastic or could I weld styrene sheet to it? I'm looking at you Eddrick...

Mardave Apache basket case 10 years 11 months ago #22022

Anyone?

If I need to weld it, do I have to use the same plastic or could I weld styrene sheet to it? I'm looking at you Eddrick...

Eddrick - where are you?

Mardave Apache basket case 10 years 8 months ago #24352

Top desk sourced all the way from Michigan :S

Last edit: by Martin Bell.

Mardave Apache basket case 10 years 8 months ago #24649

Had a spare moment, so I thought I would have a go at some plastic welding on the body. Here is the result:

Now I just need to find some filler that will stick to the body. I am thinking about plastic filler for car bumpers - anyone had any experience?
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.