Keyword

TOPIC:

Mardave Meteor 12 years 5 months ago #4467

You're not going to believe this - but I've bought another car I'm happy with, and ebay of all places! :blink:

Described as a "Model racer part built", it is in fact a Mardave Meteor - I had one of these in my youth, they first appeared around 1988 - and sorry to say, it whizzes all over 2WDs Tamiyas of the time on price, setup/handling (collar adjustable oil shocks, double wishbone suspension all round & near perfect steering geometry, adjustable toe in/out on the front & adjustable camber all round), had a much superior mechanical speed control, and were much tougher too ...

... unfortunately they did look like they were designed & built it someone's shed ... in fact, they look to me like someone rolled up their sleeves & decided to make a copy of a Hotshot ... but did it in a very British sheddy kind of way ... I can just imagine some of the "design meetings" ...

"That body looks a bit complicated ... couldn't we just do a vacform of a brick instead?"

"4WD ... bit complicated - let's make it rear wheel drive"

"Want a biscuit with your tea? Rich Tea, Digestive? I think we might have some Jaffa cakes somewhere ..."

"We could save a few quid on wheelnuts if we just used circlips instead..."

(preceded by sucking air through teeth) ... "That injection moulded chassis looks expensive ... hang on, I'll just put a bend in this bit of ally sheet ..."

and so on :D

This is a much later model, judging by the gold anodised chassis with an increased angle on it, and by the dish wheels & spike tyres ...

No electrics at all, not even a motor ... which means no motor pinion either - and it's a problem to get one with few enough teeth now (ideally 9 or 10 tooth, 11 is a bit tall - in 48dp)...

Wheels & tyres look brand new...

Driver figures were rare - I think less than 1/2 of the kits had them in, or in may have been an optional extra - or at least they were, until someone started doing repro items on eBay :L

Paint is best described as a disaster ...

underside looks barely used...

Back end, doesn't look used at all ... note the plate under the wing - that's where you're supposed to put the RX antenna ...

Fluff is a big problem on this car - not often you can say that!

I've got to be honest, I only bought this because it was really cheap ... even so I don't think I would have if I'd known my finances were going to reverse to quickly ... so I think a quick paint strip & repaint in the boxart blue & yellow, a quick rebuild to get rid of the fluff ... then back on ebay :(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: "Model racer part built" 12 years 5 months ago #4468

Nice, looks like a mix of Meccano, hello Kitty, Bratz and Tamiya.
Like the wing thingie for the antenna.

Re: "Model racer part built" 12 years 5 months ago #4469

Nice, looks like a mix of Meccano, hello Kitty, Bratz and Tamiya.
Like the wing thingie for the antenna.

Yes ... perhaps I should point out that the bits that look pink are in fact red :)

Re: Mardave Meteor 12 years 5 months ago #4470

Nice buy the great thing about Mardave's are the parts are stupidly cheap :)

I have a weak spot for these so let me know when your selling it and i might relieve you of it

Re: Mardave Meteor 12 years 5 months ago #4471

Don't mean to be funny, but that is probably the most un-aerodynamic buggy ever... :silly:

Re: Mardave Meteor 12 years 5 months ago #4480

I have a weak spot for these so let me know when your selling it and i might relieve you of it

That would have a certain symmetry about it - I bought it from someone less than 10 miles from you :silly:

Re: Mardave Meteor 12 years 5 months ago #4481

Had to strip the paint of my DT-02 wheels last night so I thought I might as well do my Scorcher wheels & the Mardave body while I was stinking the place out ...

This is 30 minutes after applying the first coat of grafitti remover ... I swear the body & the photo haven't been manipulated ...

several hours later ...

Attachments:

Re: Mardave Meteor 12 years 5 months ago #4485

I kind of like this totally non-subtle car...
But was it a mushroom in a past life? :blink:

Re: Mardave Meteor 12 years 5 months ago #4487

I kind of like this totally non-subtle car...
But was it a mushroom in a past life? :blink:

I think it was red with white spots & a couple of gold stripes before being black, so very possibly... :blink:

Re: Mardave Meteor 12 years 5 months ago #4565

Just dismantled it, and judging by the lack of wear, especially on the blacked ball diff outdrives, driveshafts, etc - it's never been run.

The question is, who buys one of these just to look at? :sick: :silly:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.