Keyword
Please take care when trading with people you don't know personally. To safeguard yourself as much as possible do/check the following:
- check the other party's ebay feedback (check his profile on TB, or ask for ebay ID) Send them an email through ebay to make sure.
- ask for references at this forum.
- check the members status on TB. Is this his first and only post or an experienced/well known member?
- Only pay through a secure payment provider, like Paypal. Make sure you pay for an item, not for a Service, as a Gift or other types of payment.
- Exchange real names and telephone numbers up front, and check them out.
- only offer shipping with full online tracking.
TamiyaBase.com is not a party in trades made on the basis of this site. Buyer and seller are sole responsible for their trades and for working out a safe way of payment and delivery.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Couple of CVA parts 12 years 4 months ago #5317

I subscribe to the Model Car Magazine, and there was an article about 2 months ago about dying plastic parts a different color. I'll find that and scan it in you you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Couple of CVA parts 12 years 4 months ago #5318

• Edou
  • Edou's Avatar Topic Author
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
That would be great. So far I've only tried to dye parts that didn't really take.
It only seems to work well on nylon rims - the parts I should have dyed but didn't... :S
These I painted with Tamiya primer (dying would have been much cheaper too) and they're pretty vulnerable.

Wondering if CVAs would be porous enough...

Re: Couple of CVA parts 12 years 4 months ago #5334

I'd guess CVA bodies won't dye cos I THINK they're made from either polyethylene or polypropylene (Paint won't stick to them well either, unless you form a complete coating with no breaks from flexible PVC paint (The stuff they use to paint flexible items) or maybe lexan paint - so it acts more like a sleeve than a stuck coating). Nylon bits usually dye well though. What about Agemax's heatshrink idea? - maybe heatshring the bodies & get caps the right colour? (TXT CVAs are black...). Another option would be to get some "cheapy" shocks from something chinese (Likely to be ABS & would take paint) & modify them?

Re: Couple of CVA parts 12 years 4 months ago #5335

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Thanks for the tips. I'll see if they take but I guess the chances are slim...
They're going agemax's way so maybe he could do his shrink tube magic on them then. :cheer:

Re: Couple of CVA parts 12 years 4 months ago #5338

Another thought - what about a paint/thin clear heatshrink combo? (Thin clear heatshrink pretending to be laquer, keeping the paint in place). You could just print some paper sleeves & clear heatshrink over the top of them, like the fake AAs
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou

Re: Couple of CVA parts 12 years 4 months ago #5340

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Good idea! If the dye doesn't take (which I kinda expect to happen) I'll leave the decision on that to agemax though...
Thanks for joining in the brainstorm. :silly:

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Couple of CVA parts 12 years 4 months ago #5410

Posted the package this morning, should be arriving in about 2 weeks. :( sorry for the long wait, but airfrieght was almost triple the price.

On another note, found this on the Clod site I'm a member on.

www.clodtalk.co...=2&t=22362

This guy dyed the red parts of the Bullheads bumper black. So the shocks must be able to take dye.
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou

Last edit: by Louisbaby.

Re: Couple of CVA parts 12 years 4 months ago #5411

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Thanks LB - and don't worry about the timeline. Please let me know if I owe you anything. ;)
I'm very curious about the damper parts now. Think I'll give it a go later today...

Re: Couple of CVA parts 12 years 4 months ago #5467

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
So far I haven't been extremely succesful in using dye to colour parts. Same thing with the damper housings.
It was to be expected a bit with the CVAs though... I guess they couldn't be to be all too porous - having oil in them.
But I do have good hopes for a Cayenne body parts set when I look at the link that Louisbaby posted earlier...
Guess you don't know until you try. :whistle:

Last edit: by Edou.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.