Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Bullhead electricals 11 years 9 months ago #11516

More capacity means more running time so that's always a good thing. :y:
Especially on the Bullhead, when you run it with two motors...
I'm sure all the Vapex battery packs are NiMHs btw.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Bullhead electricals 11 years 9 months ago #11546

Back to motors again.... Along with what Jonny's covered already, I'd just like to add that torque & rpm are inversely related, ie USUALLY more rpm will have less torque, more torque will have less rpm. Although most of this relationship comes from how the motor is wound, the timing also affects it. The timing is the relative position of the brushes to the permanent magnets. You'll see that a lot of tuned motors have an open rear-end, & that these can be rotated (By loosening screws) independently to the metal can, this is adjustable timing. Basically, if you rotate the brush assembly backwards in relation to the motor forward spinning direction, you time it to run faster in the forward direction (& vice versa). The downside to making your motor run faster forward is that you lose torque in doing so. Also note that reverse will now have more torque, but less speed.
For the Bullhead & Clod, the motors need to run in opposite directions to turn all the wheels forwards, so IF you were buying tuned motors, you'd need 1x timed for forwards, & 1x timed for backwards, or buy a pair of adjustable ones & time them yourself. However, what you'll end up with is a truck that goes faster forwards than backwards, & given that the gearing isn't adjustable, you'll probably find that although it'll go faster flat out, it'll take ages to get up to speed, & probably lose a lot of its climbing ability.

For a big heavy lump with big wheels & poor handling, you're more likely to want to be pulling wheelies & climbing over stuff right by your feet than trying for super-sonic race-cornering on the horizon, so I still say forget tuned motors & go for something more usable with an extended run time & bags of torque, which would mean looking at 27,30,35 turn motors. It'll never be FAST, but at least with these motors the acceleration will be more exciting.
It's also worth mentioning at this point that MOST ESCs have a lower/more restricted current rating for reverse than for forwards too, so if you go the ESC route, you're likely to still have to put up with the slower in reverse thing

As a suggestion, there's a nice man on Ebay selling generic 540 motors for

Re: Bullhead electricals 11 years 9 months ago #11554

Thanks eddrick for the motor description. Given that the Bullhead is a large lump then what you are saying is that it really needs all the torque it can get to move that weight. Given the weight of it unless the motor has good torque it will never even get started! I found this spec to compare silver/torque tuned/sport tuned. Maybe the torque tuned would be ideal on a mudblaster and the sport on a light buggy/car. Whereas the higher torque/lower speed of the silver is needed for a bigger truck? If so I'd better getting two cheap silvers rather than those nice torque tuned motors I'd almost ordered...?

Tamiya 540 motor comparison
Standard 540
Turns: 27T
*Top speed: 24.3Km/h

Torque-Tuned Motor
Turns: 25T
*Top Speed: 26km/h

Sport-Tuned Motor
Turns: 23T
*Top Speed: 29.1km/h

Re: Bullhead electricals 11 years 9 months ago #11555

I've never had much money, so I usually look for the simplest, cheapest way to solve a problem. I know from experience standard motors are better than Annsmann tuned ones, & I know from previous ownership that Clodbusters are loads of fun with just standard motors in. I also know that unless you're completely sure of motor specs & what to do about it when it doesn't provide the expected results, can quickly get expensive before you get any good results. Also bear in mind there's no gear ratio adjustment on the Bullhead gearboxes if the torque/speed/current consumption of a tuned motor turns out to be not quite what you expected, ie if your motor's not right for the job, there's no facility to correct through different gearing.

If it were me, for the sake of 2x standard motors for a tenner, that would definately work, verses 50quid+ for a pair of posh ones which may or may not work well with the truck (& which would also require an expensive high power ESC to use them with), I know what I'd do. Once you've proved what it's like "out of the box" rather than having the question of dodgy motors hanging over it, you'll probably find it's ok "as is". If not, you've proved the motors cheaply & still have some cash left over to think about upgrading the various bits.
Tell you what, buy the motors I suggested, & if you're not happy with them, I'll buy them off you, how does that sound? (Was thinking about getting another pair for my spares box anyway)

Re: Bullhead electricals 11 years 9 months ago #11559

@ Bullhead69 - I think I have a spare Bullhead/clod mechanical speed control, & I might be able to find the other bits you'd need to fit it too - possibly including a servo if you need it (let me know :).

I'll warn you now it'll all be used stuff, and I don't think I'd recommend using an MSC longer term (fire risk, risk of running out of control, lack of fine speed control, shorter running times, etc) but it could be a cheap way of finding a "fix" if you go with eddrick's motor suggestions - as I've said before, I've tried faster setups in twin motor trucks & have gone back to silvercans - faster motors just seem to mean more noise, more rollovers, faster wear & more breakages, without really making the truck go that much faster :pinch:

Re: Bullhead electricals 11 years 9 months ago #11560

... I usually look for the simplest, cheapest way to solve a problem. ...

I don't think that's got anything to do with income, I think that's just being from Norfolk ;)

Attachments:

Re: Bullhead electricals 11 years 9 months ago #11562

Haha, good observation Jonny & I'd agree, except I'm originally from Harlow, just outside London. Trying to work out where that bit of road in the pic is - by the subtext, I'd say just outside Swaffham, Wisbech or Aylsham (They trade in livestock & offspring there, same thing I spose)

Re: Bullhead electricals 11 years 9 months ago #11566

Hi guys, i always run my Clod with the TUE-104bk with some additional wires, no problems at all. B)

Cheers, Bram

Oh and btw i run it with two regular silver cans.
Restoring Countach 58005
Restoring 58015 RR
Restoring 58098 F40
Restoring King Cab and Monsterracer
Restoring Audi Quattro rally
Restoring Mk.1 Sand Scorcher
Restoring Porsche 936

Last edit: by BramMeijer.

Re: Bullhead electricals 11 years 9 months ago #11573

@ Bullhead69 - I think I have a spare Bullhead/clod mechanical speed control, & I might be able to find the other bits you'd need to fit it too ...

Found all the bits if you want to give an MSC a try:

:)
Attachments:

Re: Bullhead electricals 11 years 9 months ago #11612

Ok, so decision made. 2 cheap silvers on order along with a Mtroniks RV11 ESC and a Vapextech battery. Will report on how I get on with those when I get them.

In the meantime (and admittedly slightly off topic) a have another small job to finish. The chassis has two broken motor brackets. I thought I'd have a go at making one by hand. One done one left to do. See what you think...

Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.