Keyword

TOPIC:

Sourcing Rough Rider spares, sealant etc 12 years 9 months ago #1967

Hello,

Can anyone tell me a good place to buy ball bearings for a mid-eighties Rough Rider? I just retrieved it from the loft at my parent's house where it has been for 25 yrs or so, and the gearbox shaft feels very wobbly. I might need to buy some gears as well, although I gather they are not easy to come by?

I've contacted Wonderland Models in Edinburgh via internet and am waiting for them to come back to me. I live in Germany, so probably Iill buy them by "mail-order".

Paul

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by PaulG.

Re: Sourcing Rough Rider ball bearings & gears 12 years 9 months ago #1970

Hi,

As long as you know what sizes ball bearings to use, they would not need to be for a Rough Rider specifically...
I'd open the gearbox and make sure the problem is with the gears before ordering a new set. ;)

Btw - Germany is a good country for Tamiya parts in general.
After all the importer for Europe (Dickie) has it's base there...

Good luck with the resto! :cheer:

Edit - looks like all you would need for ball bearings are 1150s...
Of course these will also be easily available at your local Rc shop but eBay will be quite a bit cheaper.
The following user(s) Liked this: PaulG

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Sourcing Rough Rider ball bearings & gears 12 years 9 months ago #1972

Like Edou says, make sure you get the correct bearings for your use. Take a look here: www.tamiyabase....ducts.html

For a Rough Rider gearbox, you will need 6 pcs of type 1150 bearings.
You will need additional 6 1150 bearings if you ballrace the axles as well.

You will get best price on bearings from Ebay but UK sellers like Fusion Hobbies will also have them.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
The following user(s) Liked this: PaulG

Re: Sourcing Rough Rider ball bearings & gears 12 years 9 months ago #1982

Thanks guys for your help. I'll get hold of some 1150 bearings.:)

I also want to buy an electronic speed controller (seems like these are fairly standard Tamiya RC parts), some universal joints, and possibly some parts for the front suspension, which has a lot of play in it. Any advice would be appreciated.

The old universal joints were brass, and wore out quickly. I made some out of steel when I was a kid, in the metal work class after school. They are still on the car, but nearly worn through.

Re: Sourcing Rough Rider ball bearings & gears 12 years 9 months ago #1993

Could you go into more detail about the front suspension and possibly make a few pictures?
This would be the most basic choice for a Tamiya ESC :

Tamiya 101bk

But living in Germany, you could take a look at Lrp too. These are very good and quite cheap there... :)

Re: Sourcing Rough Rider ball bearings & gears 12 years 9 months ago #2010

Thanks Edou.

I've started doing a bit more research on what's available, and I also need to take the thing apart to see where the issues are, so I'll do these things before I send more forum entries.

Thanks for the tip on the speed controllers :)

Re: Sourcing Rough Rider ball bearings & gears 12 years 9 months ago #2059

Greetings from Frankfurt,

if you need parts Seidel is a good adress.
Bearings, I get them at rcbearings.co.uk they sell on ebay too(sometimes cheaper)

The LRP ESC are nice but at the moment I am a little disappointed because I bought some while they should be 100% waterproof but they are defenitly not.

Last edit: by waterbok.

Re: Sourcing Rough Rider ball bearings & gears 12 years 8 months ago #2082

Hi Waterbok,

Nice to hear from a fellow German resident :)

I bought a Tamiya ESC, & bearings from RC Bearings UK. I'll have a look at Seidel.

Any advice on oil or grease for the gearbox (it has one plastic gear & the others are metal), and silicone sealant? I see that some people suggest silicone grease for gearboxes. I remember the original kit had some kind of oil for it.

Cheers

Re: Sourcing Rough Rider ball bearings & gears 12 years 8 months ago #2083

Maybe you could take a look at this thread for lubricants :

Oil me up

:)

Btw - Haertle is a really good German shop too...

Haertle

Re: Sourcing Rough Rider ball bearings & gears 12 years 8 months ago #2085

btw Wonderland Models, I was there in Jun, nice shop, but prices WOW! :sick:

I am currently using mainly tamiya ceramic grease but I am thinking of switching to bicycle ceramic grease and dry lube (for example from finish line)

Haertle is nice too, but I think Seidel has better collection

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.