Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Lunchbox rim dimensions 12 years 2 months ago #6768

Does that mean Tamiya are making 2 identical wheel sets with different hubs then? (Lunchbox + madbull) - seems a bit odd, surely wheel adaptors would be easier/cheaper to be the thing to change to fit the same wheels on different models?! Unless of course they had a ton of the old type left over? But then why change to hex fitting for madbull etc? V odd when simple injection moulding moulds come in at around 20k a piece!
Yep, fit dyna blaster wheels to everything, I say!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Lunchbox rim dimensions 12 years 2 months ago #6780

Does that mean Tamiya are making 2 identical wheel sets with different hubs then? (Lunchbox + madbull) - seems a bit odd, surely wheel adaptors would be easier/cheaper to be the thing to change to fit the same wheels on different models?! Unless of course they had a ton of the old type left over? But then why change to hex fitting for madbull etc? V odd when simple injection moulding moulds come in at around 20k a piece!
Yep, fit dyna blaster wheels to everything, I say!

AFAIK the Mad Bull shares the "8 hole" wheels with the Wild Willy 2, Lunchbox, Pumpkin & Montero use the "10 dimple" wheels - tyres & dimensions are the same but the inner bit isn't :)

Re: Lunchbox rim dimensions 12 years 2 months ago #6795

You're right, I'd never noticed that!
Yellow ones are Madbull, silver ones with tyres are Wild Willy 2, silver wheels without tyres are lunchbox/pumpkin.
To complete the post, I present to you, the Doris' Madbull
Attachments:

Re: Lunchbox rim dimensions 12 years 2 months ago #6975

This is straight off the TowerHobbies website, and I confirmed it by measuring my Lunchbox rims

Width: 2.5" (64.5mm)
Diameter: 1.9" (48.5mm)

LB, could you elaborate how you measured this? I'm thinking without the groove...
Seidel comes to 55mm which was probably measured to the outer sides.

Re: Lunchbox rim dimensions 12 years 2 months ago #6979

If it were me, I'd be measuring where the tyre sits - wheels come in all sorts of sizes with thinner/thicker rims & profiles, but the tyres have to be standard sizes to fit a variety of different manufacturer's wheels

Re: Lunchbox rim dimensions 12 years 2 months ago #6981

I'd be measuring where the tyre sits

Do you mean like this - on the edge of the rim?

That's what I've been keeping to. With a grooved rim, the difference is about 4-5mm...
It seemed to match the specs of the rims (in inches) I measured.

Re: Lunchbox rim dimensions 12 years 2 months ago #6986

No, I meant the diameter & edges that the tyre is in direct contact with, but like I said, "If it were me", I might well be wrong but it just sorta makes more sense to me.... Sensibly, we ought to have a measure of a variety of wheels & note which dimension is more or less constant, the overall diameter or the diameter of the groove the tyre sits in.
I've always treated the toy car tyre size to be a nominal size, not an actual dimension eg all 2.2" type tyres fit 2.2" type wheels, but don't measure exactly 2.2", & the outer diameter of the wheels can vary depending on their profile (How deep the groove is). When I go shopping, I ask for 2.2" Dirt Hawgs & know they'll fit my 2.2" Tamiya wheels or my 2.2" Duratrax wheels, also knowing that the overall diameter of the Tamiya wheels is +/- 5mm different to the Duratrax ones.
MAYBE we're just getting too detailed & should just be referring to wheel sizes as 1.9s or 2.2s etc, giving the width & offset only, as proper measurements? (Perhaps give the overall diameter as a reference only, if you think it's needed?).
Looking at it another way, say you rob some wheels off a Tandy toy car & they measure 45mm, where are you gonna buy tyres to fit them, & vice versa, so does the measurement actually mean anything?

Re: Lunchbox rim dimensions 12 years 2 months ago #7148

Sorry, but I'm going to hyjack this thread for a moment, to show you my new Lunchbox rims.

Sorry, but I just had to show you. I've always loved my Lunchbox, But now I really Love it...

Re: Lunchbox rim dimensions 12 years 2 months ago #7153

Yep, those are far more exciting than measurements!

Re: Lunchbox rim dimensions 12 years 2 months ago #7155

Yep, those are far more exciting than measurements!

:laugh: :silly: :laugh:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.