Keyword

TOPIC:

What did you do today? 4 years 7 months ago #56475

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Andy, it shows !!!

Can’t wait to see the new space, it will be awesome.
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What did you do today? 4 years 7 months ago #56484

Nice Andy... well done.

I’ve been progressing slowly on my Gr.B body. The roof decals have some imperfections...even if those bother me i’m happy with the result.

Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al

What did you do today? 4 years 7 months ago #56485

That's an awesome body.

What did you do today? 4 years 7 months ago #56490

No pictures, but today I picked up a couple of boxes at Tamiyabase himself, Larbut in the loan Capri after attending a All Ford Meeting.

A great day and great to see you again Lars ;)

And thanx again for the boxes :y:
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, stingray-63

What did you do today? 4 years 7 months ago #56497

I’ve been progressing slowly on my Gr.B body. The roof decals have some imperfections...even if those bother me i’m happy with the result.

Edges, overlaps, curves & 3D body parts are all problematic with Tamiya decals, but the ripples on the roof are unfortunate ... this is why I always do decals wet now, it gives you a chance to correct rather than have the decal grab & be pretty much fixed at the first touch.

I don't know if there's a way of rescuing that particular decal, there's a very high probability of stretching it if you try to lift it, and anything you do to soften the adhesive is going to obviously soften the decal too.

I have red self adhesive vinyl in three different shades of red, I 'm quite willing to send you some (and some black for the edge) if you want to have a go at DIY-ing that panel rather than living with it or getting another decal sheet.

:)

What did you do today? 4 years 7 months ago #56501

Edges, overlaps, curves & 3D body parts are all problematic with Tamiya decals, but the ripples on the roof are unfortunate ... this is why I always do decals wet now, it gives you a chance to correct rather than have the decal grab & be pretty much fixed at the first touch.

I don't know if there's a way of rescuing that particular decal, there's a very high probability of stretching it if you try to lift it, and anything you do to soften the adhesive is going to obviously soften the decal too.

I have red self adhesive vinyl in three different shades of red, I 'm quite willing to send you some (and some black for the edge) if you want to have a go at DIY-ing that panel rather than living with it or getting another decal sheet.

:)

Hi Jonny,

I really don't know if there is a way to rescue that roof decal as it overlaps the one just on the rear. I have tried to take it off but besides stretching it started to break in some places...maybe because it's already an old decal.
I've been thinking on the best solution to get this right but honestly i don't see many options..at least keeping the original decal. I have been thinking heating it up with a hair dryer and after a try it only stretched it even more.

I have 3 solutions now :

Keep it like that ( but i hate knowing it's not perfect )
Find a replacement decal set...will be expensive as the one i used are originals and i'm not sure MCI-decals are the exact red tone as the Tamiya ones
Try to fix it with your solution, as long as the red vinyl sheet you have is the exact red tone as the original ones

Honestly that's something that bothers me...

What did you do today? 4 years 7 months ago #56542

Hi there,
I second the wet method but that is no longer an option for you, might I suggest carefully cutting the fold, lifting up the edge, add some of the wet solution, so the decal doesn't just stick right away. Laying down the wrinkle and trimming most of the overlap off with a razor blade. I think you could really improve the look by just getting things flatter, beautiful car by the way, one of my all time favorites!
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

What did you do today? 4 years 7 months ago #56549

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers

Enforced day off. So what better than give these Sand Rover parts a clean.
The PO looked after this car or didn’t use it much.

The worst parts so far are the tyres.
One front is split, but I will have a go at repairing it. I’ve seen a lot of totally bald rear tyres, so the fact you can still see some of the spikes is almost a bonus.
These won’t get used on the final build, but will get the full glycerin treatment in case I move them on.

Cheers Al
Attachments:

What did you do today? 4 years 7 months ago #56551

Nice cleaning AL !
Does your wife know that you're using her sink to do it? :P :P

What did you do today? 4 years 7 months ago #56556

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers

Nice cleaning AL !
Does your wife know that you're using her sink to do it? :P :P

Cheers Manotas, funny you should say that. She’s at work.
At least I didn’t put it through the dish washer.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.679 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.