Keyword

TOPIC:

Tamiya 1/12 Bike builds 11 years 5 months ago #15427

I've got a bit bored with my current RC projects, so while I'm waiting to get my mojo back :whistle: I thought I'd have a go at the Tamiya 1/12 bike kits I've had on a shelf for several years - a Honda RC30 & NSR500, Yamaha OW01 & a Suzuki Katana :)

Starting on the Honda stinkwheel, the tyres looked way too shiny & new to me, so I gave them a bit of a scuffing up:

I'd forgotten how much fiddly detail painting needs doing on these kits during assembly...

Several steps later, the rad, spannies & silencers are on, along with sundry other greeblies:

Lots of other bits ready to assemble ... but that will have to wait for the bodywork...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Bike builds 11 years 5 months ago #15428

I'm really not impressed with the standard of fit on this kit at all, several engine bits needed trimming & fettling to fit, but the joins on the bodywork was really bad, so I had to fill & sand before painting...

I need to leave it for a week to avoid fingerprints...
Attachments:

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Bike builds 11 years 5 months ago #15434

Nice!
I was impressed by the assembled bike kits in our model shop back in the 80s, but never got enthusiastic enough to buy/build one.
Had a Kyosho RC one last year(?) which was an interesting resto, but again, couldn't get enthusiastic enough to run it or buy another.

As for the "fit" of Tamiya plastic kits, yep I've always been less than impressed with them. Mind you, I've found this seems to be related to wheeled vehicle kits in general from any manufacturer - planes & tanks always seem to go together better.

Lack of enthusiasm in general towards RC projects, I can sympathise, it's probably to do with the onset of dark & dingy wintertime, although my disinterest is more fuelled by lack of cash (Annoyed that I can't get on with stuff!).
Think of it this way though - won't be long til it's snowing, & it's imperitive there's a runner available for that!

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Bike builds 11 years 5 months ago #15436

Hmm, less momentary RC enthusiasm... sounds familiar. Same cash motivated cause as eddrick here.
But lots of plans in the back of my head though!

Very nice build, Jonny. Something else for a change. :)

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Bike builds 11 years 5 months ago #15439

Hi Jonny,

Wow nice bikes...
I also build some from time to time as i'm a big Bike fan !

Here the latest ones

Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
The following user(s) Liked this: achmedachmed

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Bike builds 11 years 5 months ago #15440

Another Rossi one, this time on the YAMAHA

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Bike builds 11 years 5 months ago #15441

And a special thought for Daijiro :cry: :cry:

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Bike builds 11 years 5 months ago #15471

Beautiful work there Manotas!

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Bike builds 11 years 5 months ago #15492

I've got quite a bit done on the Katana while waiting for the gloss paint on the NSR to harden :whistle:

Attachments:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Bike builds 11 years 5 months ago #15541

Got the Katana together, and the transfers on the RS ... if I'd known how badly they were going to turn out I'd have painted the colours on instead :cry:

Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.