Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Calling all Trail / Crawler vehicles 12 years 2 weeks ago #8790

Glad this topic has come up.
I too want to build something similar using a Kamtech body but am confused at teh multitude of chassis options.
I contacted Kamtech and they replied that any tamiya 1/10 chassis would would.

Not sure that the Bigwig and Supershot I have are going to be the best.

to replicate a Dakar Rallye type racer, which would be the best chassis system to use, If I was to call the local shop and say, "Please get this kit for me" which one should I ask for

thanks

Hay Ewe

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Calling all Trail / Crawler vehicles 12 years 2 weeks ago #8801

I'm a fan of Kamtec shells (Mainly cos they're sensibly priced & they keep sending me free stuff!) but you have to be aware that most of their shell assume you have the knowledge & ability to modify them to suit your particular application - yes most 1/10 bodies can be made to fit 1/10 chassis, but it depends on how much effort you can put into it, & some just won't go without some serious hacking.
It seems to me that most people favour the CC-01 chassis (eg Toureg) as it's already a pretty good scale model & is very capable off roading/crawling (Cheaper than a lot of others too). It's mechanics are also all-integral & chassis length can be changed, meaning all you really have to worry about is body mounting. Some favour the High-lift range, but they tend to be hugely expensive, same goes for early Hilux/Bruiser etc. TA & TL road cars can be modified relatively easily, same goes for 4x4 race buggies (Like 'shots etc), but like I said, it depends on what you're capable of.
Why not have a look at some manuals & pics of the various chassis, to see what you think would be easiest for you? How about a scratch build?

Re: Calling all Trail / Crawler vehicles 12 years 2 weeks ago #8808

Eddrick's got it all right. Another possiblity is a CR-01 but they are more costly.
Are you actually thinking about a Dakar car or maybe more Camel Trophy?
This 58421 Racing Lancer (DF-01) fits the first description :

It's definitely a nice off roader but maybe not so much a crawler...
Attachments:

Re: Calling all Trail / Crawler vehicles 12 years 1 week ago #8830

Thanks for the feedback.
Yes, wanting a Dakar racer rather than a Camel Trophy (both cool)
a few years ago I did nearly buy a Lancia but didn't.
Its pretty easy now, I shall search around ad get a 58421 / DF-01

I think I might have hi-jacked this thread a little, sorry about that - but you seem a friendly bunch.

thanks
Hay Ewe

Re: Calling all Trail / Crawler vehicles 12 years 1 week ago #8833

Think it was pretty much on topic. It should be a nice car to trail with. :y:
Quite affordable and it's easy to source parts for upgrading or replacement for it too...

Closest thing to the topic title that I've shown here is also a DF-01, but with a Hummer body on it.
And long suspension arms from the DF-01 buggy :

Re: Calling all Trail / Crawler vehicles 12 years 1 week ago #8844

If you want a crawler/trail vehicle, your best bet is a CC-01 chassis, which you can pretty much put any body on.

All you do is install a HPI gear reduction unit, and this little truck will go anywhere you point it...

Of course there are others, Edou pointed out the CR-01, or even the Highlift chassis, but they are both pretty expensive chassis. I think the best chassis for cheap is a CC-01.

Last edit: by Louisbaby.

Re: Calling all Trail / Crawler vehicles 10 years 4 months ago #26667

@ caprinut - I'd like to see more of what's going on "under the hood" on the Lunchbox & the trailers :y:

A very late reply.

If there is an interest, I could post up the orginal builds of trailers etc..

Re: Calling all Trail / Crawler vehicles 10 years 4 months ago #26668

@ caprinut - I'd like to see more of what's going on "under the hood" on the Lunchbox & the trailers :y:

A very late reply.

If there is an interest, I could post up the orginal builds of trailers etc..

I'd still like to see that :)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.