Keyword

TOPIC:

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #62115

Looking good and yes great progress :)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #62123

That's a crazy look.

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #62136

Thank you chaps :y:

This is pretty much the look I'm going for

The do Pajero's as well

Even the police has cool vehicles.

And for Jonny our styrene king, I give you this :P
Canadian glacier tour bus
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, stingray-63, AndyAus, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #62143

I love the snow bus and the 2nd pajero.

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #62146

I dig the bus as well :y:

I have done a bit researce regarding on the steering on the TLT.
Want to try to have high steer linkage on the axle, that means mounting the linkage as high as possible, makes better approach angle.
In most cases there are uprights that have the arms fitted higher than the center of the knuckle.
Like my Rod project as shown here.

There is aluminium uprights for the TLT, which really is TA04 uprights.
These are TA04 uprights.

There is no high steer uprights on the market for the TLT, or is it?????
After my research, the M chassis cars can use TA04 uprights, so in theory the M chassis uprights should fit the TLT.
M05 uprights fit the bill nicely, you can see the arms fitted on top of the knuckle (uprights are really up side down in this picture, fits the other way in the vehicle)

So far I have seen no one done this mod and my LHS happens to carry these in stock so it is worth trying.

I also want CVD shafts in the steering, but they are stupid expensive if you can find one.
My parts bin happen to have brand new HPI CVD axles I hope I can modify to fit my needs, I have a plan.
If the stock plastic M05 uprights do fit, I plan to upgrade them later to aluminium as I may have to shave the plastic ones to get the full throw of the CVD's and that can make them a bit weak.
Basicly I want to swap out the cup and dogbone style driveshafts to this type below.
In this picture the M05 also have the Tamiya hopup uprights as well.

I did find CVD's in a german shop that specialize in TLT axles and conversion parts for Tamiya tractor trucks, the have f.ex lockable diffs and conversion kit to make tracktor truck axles steer.
But I'm not paying €85 for CVD axles, that about my whole budget for this build.
So far I have only been spent £11 for secondhand wheels.
The M05 F parts that's includes the uprights £7 and I need the green Locktite type glue which is around 8 pund from my hardware store.

So far this has been a very cheap build.
Also need a can of special mixed automotive paint which should be around 15 quid mark.
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #62150

Canadian glacier tour bus...

Just 1 & 1/2 Super Clod Buster kits & a bit of Dural for the chassis ;)

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #62180

To show you I have plans for this for a long long time, I've found this picture with the Pajero body together with my Arctic trailer which I still have.

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #62189

Have started on the steering bit.
These CVD's is what I'm going to use, I have several of those in my parts bin.

And this is max angle of these, about 30 degrees vs 20 on stock TLT.
Nothing compared to new stuff (45 ish is the norm these days), but plenty for this build as the tires will hit links etc on full lock.

One downside using these CVD's is the hole for the crosspin on the wheelhex is further out than normal.
I can work around that..

Plan is to use these Axial wheel hex's which I have in my parts bin.
Cut off the raised part and make the slot for the drive pin longer.
Drill the center hole to 5mm so it will fit over the wheelaxle and then fit them the wrong way round onto the axle and then insert the longer pin which I will make from either 2mm piano wire or 2mm drill bit.

Also found some aluminium uprights in my parts bin, think these are made for TLT as they have arms with more clearance built in it, they are also made to fit CVD's.
If you look very closely you will see the cross pin for the CVD is a tad out of center vs the imagned line from each king pin.
I may grind the wheelaxle stopper step so the CVD can move a tad closer into the upright, or wheel if you will.
The dogbone end will be cut off, and since the diameter is 3.2mm, I can use a bit of 3/16 brakeline which I have plenty of, drill the brakeline inner diameter to 3.2mm and then sleeve the brakeline with 5mm inner diameter tube of some sort.
The orginal half shaft is 5mm so it should work out with that 5mm sleeve.
I will glue them permanetly with green Locktite type of glue which is ment to glue machined parts together.

Full steering angle

On these pictures I have tested with a spare TLT axle housing so I don't need to pull my front axle off my build.

I love I can build something out of my parts bin :)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #62193

Dude!

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #62196

Canadian glacier tour bus

I've been on that bus!
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.