Keyword

TOPIC:

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #62203

And for Jonny our styrene king, I give you this :P
Canadian glacier tour bus

I've been on that bus!

That must have been awesome!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #62204

I've been on that bus!

It was awesome. They have to drive up and down a 100% grade to get on and off of the glacier field. It's amazing how much they look like Clod tires and wheels.
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

Last edit: by blakbird.

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #62205

I've been on that bus!

It was awesome. They have to drive up and down a 100% grade to get on and off of the glacier field. It's amazing how much they look like Clod tires and wheels.

Yeah Clod was the first thing I was thinkingg of when I saw it.
Now that JConcepts are making Clod wheels and several tire designs, it should be easier to build stuff like this :)

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #62206

[quote="blakbird" post=62204

This lead me down a tire sinkhole on the Internet and I found the actual tires they use. So if you ever find yourself wanting a set of 1:1 Clod tires, here is where to get them. A real bargain!

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #62207

Haha, many rc's can be bought for 4 grand lol.

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #62221

Got a package in the mail...

3 more TLT wheels and tires, 1 one of the wheels I need on this build..

Found a brass 5x3mm tube in my parts bin, after a lot of sanding, grinding, trail and error, I got the sleeve to fit onto the CVD end.
And then I cut the short end of the orginal half shaft which goes into the diff.
My cutting disc was too effective, so I grinded the half shaft a few millimeters too short as I wanted them to meet up joint to joint in an angle so the shaft can't move sideways while driving.
Hopefully the other side will be easier to make as I now know how to do it.
The brass tube was press fitted on, and it bent a little in the process, don't think it will ever came apart again.

I don't have a 5mm ID tube in stock right now, but to prove the concept works, I just fitted a tube of styrene to join them.

For some reason my phone takes a bit unclear pictures atm.
Will a have a look to see if there is something that can be done to the cause.

To make the half shaft complete I need a 5mm ID aluminium tube and green locktite.
Out of funds so that have to wait a few weeks..

Great when an idea works in real life :y:
I have heard several others cut'n shut half shafts before, especially TLT axle ones, but nobody mentions which CVD they did use in the first place.
Had been a lot easier if I found a CVD with 5mm inner shaft, then I would only need to join them with one tube..

Oh I found a site which listed the MIP driveshaf parts one by one, and it is still possible to buy those parts on that site.
The complete CVD's are long gone, and are no longer been listed on the MIP site either, not a single item.
So TLT was a special item indeed from MIP.
I have heard some used Traxxas Rustler CVD's to do as I do, but I need to find the right one as there is loads on the market.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Last edit: by caprinut.

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #62223

Looks like something similar to what these guys are doing, just a tad smaller:

Last edit: by uncletom.

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #62226

A bit sort of, but mine is already rc based.

But I do follow Grind Hard Plumbing on YT :y:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.