Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Tamiya Super Hornet Custom job 12 years 4 months ago #5119

Thanks guys, I'm very happy with the progress so far. Today I will start ripping the chassis apart and cleaning and regreasing the gears. This will be the first car that I'm not going to replace the bushing with bearings, because this will be my first shelf queen. :unsure:

I do need some help with painting the driver. The manual says to paint the driver any way, But I would like some help, cause I don't want the driver to be the cars weak spot. Any suggestions would be helpful

I usually go with off white suit (with highlights/lowlights), flat red straps (with "Aluminum" details, semi gloss black & flat white for the helmet details, and usually only very the main helmet colour ...

But in this case, I'm thinking very dark grey suit, flat medium blue straps, metallic grey for the main helmet colour - and use the helmet decals :)

I always fit proper bearings in cars ... but then I always _intend_ to drive them ...
The following user(s) Liked this: Louisbaby

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Tamiya Super Hornet Custom job 12 years 4 months ago #5122

I usually put bearings in every car I build, but I don't intend on driving this one when it's done, if I don't install the bearings, I won't drive it...:laugh:

Thanks for the info on the drivers, I suppose you don't have pictures do you? I struggle with the highlights/lowlights technique.

Re: Tamiya Super Hornet Custom job 12 years 4 months ago #5123

I usually put bearings in every car I build, but I don't intend on driving this one when it's done, if I don't install the bearings, I won't drive it...:laugh:

Thanks for the info on the drivers, I suppose you don't have pictures do you? I struggle with the highlights/lowlights technique.

Try this :) ... basically paint the suit in the colour you want (2 coats), then mix a little black in with a bit of the base colour & put on the low bits of the folds, then do the same with a bit of added white for the high bits ... not the greatest example btw but I tend to think of them as a bit like an impressionist painting - painted to look right at viewing distance, but if you look closeup, it's a bit messy :D
The following user(s) Liked this: Louisbaby

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Tamiya Super Hornet Custom job 12 years 4 months ago #5128

So I managed to rip the chassis apart. This thing won't take long to rebuild, More dirty than anything else. I think this car ran no more than a hand full of times, Check the chassis - No scratches...

And to my surprise, the wheels have bearings in them...

Gearbox look identical to the lunchbox.

And finally, a box of parts...

Re: Tamiya Super Hornet Custom job 12 years 4 months ago #5137

Cool car. It's got the parts to eliminate the weakest points on it's ancestors - wide front arms and CVAs all around. B)
They look like a good quality bearings btw.

Edit - which is all quite irrelevant for a shelfer... :whistle:

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Tamiya Super Hornet Custom job 12 years 4 months ago #5150

Cool car. It's got the parts to eliminate the weakest points on it's ancestors - wide front arms and CVAs all around. B)

I'd agree with pogo sticks on the original being a problem - along with the self-removing battery cover ... but worse is the ludicrous bump steer caused by the single front wishbones & the massive unsprung weight of the rolling rear axle - neither of which are improved :(

Shame about the cracked tyres too :(

Re: Tamiya Super Hornet Custom job 12 years 4 months ago #5154

Shame about the cracked tyres too :([/quote]

I know, I'm quite bummed about that too. Is there anything I can do to stop it, or preserve what is left? I don't think I will find replacements in South Africa. But the advantage is it will be in a Display case soon. I'll post a thread on how to build cheap and easy display cases.

Re: Tamiya Super Hornet Custom job 12 years 4 months ago #5155

Not sure there's much you could do about the cracked tyres.
Maybe one of the approaches in this topic is an idea :

How to preserve rubber?

Think it might help so it doesn't get worse at least.

Re: Tamiya Super Hornet Custom job 12 years 4 months ago #5160

I've been looking for examples of driver colours, and found this guy:

Not completely sold on the colors yet, but it's a start.

Started by smoothing off the injection marks, and roughing it up a bit. Got one layer of primer on it today, but now it's dark and the primer is drying. More time to search the internet for drivers...
Attachments:

Re: Tamiya Super Hornet Custom job 12 years 4 months ago #5162

That one's just a piece of art. Very lifelike.

Last edit: by Edou.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.336 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.