Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Bigpig #2 resto 11 years 9 months ago #11090

I also think the R-parts are identical. The change in part number could be because of new type of plastic.

Edit: I did not see your latest post (above), so the R-parts are virtually the same then. :y:

Yes R parts are the same , as it was updated on the super sabre . As you can see
the V section was not big enough on the boomerang , hotshot2 , bigwig . Even that they have done this , It is still not done right . The shock still catches , mind you not by much .
So at the end of the day all 4 , boomerang , hotshot 2 , super sabre , bigwig use the same arms . But hotshot 2 & the super sabre use different color uprights & that is the only difference ( color only ) hotshot & supershot are the only one's using there own type of rear arms .
Great project so far . I have done two big wigs & are fun to drive .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Bigpig #2 resto 11 years 9 months ago #11160

I've been doing some work on the driver - which is totally disproportionate in terms of the time taken ... and the number of photos too :whistle:

According to the manual, the driver "bust" should just be painted black on the base, steering wheel & straps, with the rest unpainted. I hate leaving things unpainted, and TBH with the staining left after the paint stripping it wasn't an option, so ...

Primer:

Driving suit painted off white - 20 parts flat white, 1 part flat earth (brown) - it's subtle, but it is different to white ...

"Lowlights" - off white paint with a bit more brown added:

"Highlights" - just flat white:

... and the black bits, + a little detail on the buckles ... still looks very plain to me:

Helmet glued, filled, rubbed down & primed:

2 coats of "flesh":

Whites of his eyes:

Re: Bigpig #2 resto 11 years 9 months ago #11161

Irises (coloured bits of the eyes):

Pupils (black bits):

Clear over the eyes:

Eyelids:

Rubber bits of the helmet:

Gloss white on the helmet shell:

Really not one of my best jobs, but the face on the Bigwig driver is very small ...

Re: Bigpig #2 resto 11 years 9 months ago #11185

I had intended to leave the helmet for a week before I handled it ... but I did manage to assemble it without touching the gloss paint - it was a bit of a challenge :whistle:

I think we can call it "finished" :)

It does feel a big porky, I don't know if 1.908kg is really that bad, I'm not sure if there's any resource to compare weights? Actually it probably is very lardy for a plastic chassied/lexan bodied car - I seem to remember the Cheetah I finished didn't weigh that much more...

Fiddled with the boxart to make myself a keyring:

You don't see this too often - one of my cars outdoors!

And I ran it too! :ohmy: :laugh: It handled surprisingly well ... well, it didn't flip/roll on the "bumps of death" on my lawn that usually launch Tamiya buggies into crash ... it was fairly fast but not too manic (not as bad as my other Bigwig anyway ;) ), and the setup actually worked quite well - I realised hard tyres, soft front & hard rear end is a drift setup :D The battery only lasted about 10 minutes, but it was the first time I'd charged/used it - and a 2 Amp fast charge is not generally reckoned to be the best first charge method :whistle:

Re: Bigpig #2 resto 11 years 9 months ago #11186

WOW JR, i think it turned out really nice!!!! The pink colour and the decal theme is hilarious :laugh:
I wouldn't mind having a BigPig myself now... B)

Cheers, Bram
Restoring Countach 58005
Restoring 58015 RR
Restoring 58098 F40
Restoring King Cab and Monsterracer
Restoring Audi Quattro rally
Restoring Mk.1 Sand Scorcher
Restoring Porsche 936

Re: Bigpig #2 resto 11 years 4 months ago #16401

I bought a "Penguin Custom Bodyshells" repro bodyshell for the Bigpig - the forming is not as good as the TBG one - the cut guidelines are completely absent in places, and the edges are more rounded - but it is a better size, there are no worryingly thin bits, and it cost 10 GBP less :blink:

Re: Bigpig #2 resto 11 years 4 months ago #16451

Repro shell cut out ready for painting ...

Two coats of black, 3 of blue, and 4 of white brushed on...

Some of the decals I cut out from vinyl sheet...

Driver name, Jackman & snorkel decals, and the the snorkel itself from Tamiya Nut (thanks Chris :y: :) ), Weber & 4wd logos printed on clear inkjet vinyl, stripes & Penzoil logos are printed on white inkjet vinyl ...

Still need to fit the Technigold motor, I also seem to have lost an antenna :huh:
Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.