Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Bigpig #2 resto 11 years 9 months ago #10897

I rebuilt the shocks last night, in anticipation of new bits arriving today ...

The rear arms came, the only difference is the depth of the notch on the lower arm:

Unfortunately my balls have yet to drop though the letterbox :whistle:
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Bigpig #2 resto 11 years 9 months ago #10898

I also think the R-parts are identical. The change in part number could be because of new type of plastic.

Edit: I did not see your latest post (above), so the R-parts are virtually the same then. :y:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Last edit: by larbut.

Re: Bigpig #2 resto 11 years 9 months ago #10899

Step 13 - one half of the back gearbox:

Step 14 - the other half:

Step 15 (fitting the halves together):

Steps 16 (motor timing), 17 (pinion fitting), 18 (motor fitting), & 21 (shock tower & upper arms inboard fixing):

Step 22 - lower arms & uprights:

Step 23: 21 & 22 screwed together:

Step 24: bump rails & underguard ...

Note use of stainless M3 cap head machine screws instead of 3mm self tapping screws - not only do they look prettier, but they tend to grip better if the holes are already worn/stripped :)

TBH I know this car is going to be a bit of a crock, but I'm still not happy with this last step, so I'm going to take it apart again & straighten the bent bump rail & polish out some of those scratches.

Re: Bigpig #2 resto 11 years 9 months ago #10900

TBH I know this car is going to be a bit of a crock, but I'm still not happy with this last step, so I'm going to take it apart again & straighten the bent bump rail & polish out some of those scratches.

:y:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.

Re: Bigpig #2 resto 11 years 9 months ago #10904

Ok, I've polished the scratches off the underguard ... and the prints off my fingers :whistle:

After using 100 grit - anything left after that is too deep to get out & leave a meaningful thickness of plastic:

After 240 grit:

400:

800:

1200:

2500:

... and finally, car wax ... evidently the flat bit on the pointy end could have done with a bit more work with the rougher grits ...

Re: Bigpig #2 resto 11 years 9 months ago #10905

Also did the chassis, same grits & wax:

Re: Bigpig #2 resto 11 years 9 months ago #10909

Nice work, Jonny! :y:

Re: Bigpig #2 resto 11 years 9 months ago #10911

Nice progress and great job on the chassis. :y:

Re: Bigpig #2 resto 11 years 9 months ago #10913

I still can't get my head around the idea that these are vintage now!
Seems as clear as yesterday when one of the kiddies in toy car club bought one to race when they first came out, & we all took the PI... same with the bumma-ring & Wild one, let alone anything that came after that!

Re: Bigpig #2 resto 11 years 9 months ago #10918

I still can't get my head around the idea that these are vintage now!
Seems as clear as yesterday when one of the kiddies in toy car club bought one to race when they first came out, & we all took the PI... same with the bumma-ring & Wild one, let alone anything that came after that!

LOL - I'm not quite there yet - but anything after 1988-1990 is "very recent" in my head :S

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.