Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Vosper 68ft RTLL Rescue Launch build 11 years 11 months ago #9372

More work on the superstructure - homemade blue lining, painted ladders, rails & hatches, lifebelts are just stuck on with blu tac at the moment, once I've done those properly there's just a few cheaty bits to stick on ...

Hull is looking even awesomer now -

Masking:

Two heavy coats of Humbrol "Midnight Blue" & unmasked:

Lines, numbers & more roundels:

:)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Vosper 68ft RTLL Rescue Launch build 11 years 11 months ago #9375

I showed my dad this boat you building. He is originally from Swindon, and he dug out his old plan of a RC torpedo boat. The plan of the boat is huge. 4ft long, powered by those old 2 stroke motors. He flys planes, and I do the car thing. He said your boat brought back some good memories.

Re: Vosper 68ft RTLL Rescue Launch build 11 years 11 months ago #9378

I showed my dad this boat you building. He is originally from Swindon, and he dug out his old plan of a RC torpedo boat. The plan of the boat is huge. 4ft long, powered by those old 2 stroke motors. He flys planes, and I do the car thing. He said your boat brought back some good memories.

Cool B)

Re: Vosper 68ft RTLL Rescue Launch build 11 years 11 months ago #9389

Jonny, for finer black edging/lines (eg window surrounds) I use a black permanent fine pen eg CD pen or OHP pen - it's easier & quicker than paint, doesn't bleed through paint or masking & if it goes wrong it's easily removable with meths etc.
Update on waterslides - once set they don't come off with water. In fact, they don't come off after an hour immersed in brake fluid either.... (Just finished laquering a body then was reminded why I don't ever use "Plasticote" paint - wretched stuff won't dry properly & their laquer attacks their paint... currently stripping it all off to start again, a week's work wasted)

Sorry eddrick, I missed your post 1st time around ...

I had poor experiences with permanent markers on my mk.1 Scorcher, so TBH I think I'd be very cautious about using them again. Plus, you're assuming I can use a pen better than a paintbrush - it's just not true :lol:

re Plastikote - I burnt that bra (so to speak :whistle: ) a long time ago after having some very bad experiences when pimping up PC cases was my thing - your tale of woe is all too familiar :(

In fact, I wrote a poor quality pastiche of a certain Bacarach & David song ...

What do you get when you Plastikote?
A cruddy old primer that doesn

Re: Vosper 68ft RTLL Rescue Launch build 11 years 11 months ago #9397

i admit i swear by plastikote super primer. not on my models but on any motorcycle parts i spray. paint strip the parts, ultrasonic clean them, wiz over with some 400 wet and dry then 2 coats of super primer and put in the oven for 10 minutes to cure.
honestly you need an angle grinder to get the stuff off after that and it will accept any paint afterwards from rattle can cellulose to enamel brush paint

Re: Vosper 68ft RTLL Rescue Launch build 11 years 11 months ago #9398

Time to start thinking about electrics ... I made up a couple of pods for the batteries, I did mean them to grip a little, but once I'd got them test fitted in the hull the batteries were impossbile to get out :whistle: ... I've trimmed about 12mm off the top, which leaves a lot more room for jiggerypokery :)

ESC will be a "Marine" 15A unit ... I think the only things that make these "marine" is the instant full power reverse ... though come to think of it, I've seen that on oval ESCs ... and the feeble current ratings ... I've decided to wimp out for the time being & fit the slowest motor I have, an HPI 55T 540.

Re: Vosper 68ft RTLL Rescue Launch build 11 years 11 months ago #9406

Thanks to poor planning, or to be honest, no planning at all, I've kind of stalled now - I have a few details left to do on the hull, but mostly I'll be waiting on the Postman - 2mm rod for the steering servo rods, an M2 die to cut thread on one end of the rods, and threadlock to make sure the prop doesn't fall off :whistle:

Re: Vosper 68ft RTLL Rescue Launch build 11 years 11 months ago #9409

i bought a pack of 10 x 8 inch 2mm steel rods, pre threaded at one end from my local model shop, was only a few quid. perfect for making servo steering rods etc
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

Re: Vosper 68ft RTLL Rescue Launch build 11 years 11 months ago #9413

Bicycle spokes - they're mostly 2mm diameter & free if you know where to look (The tip, or ask your friendly bike-fixy man). Stainless ones are also available. The threads are usually imperial, but are close enough that M2 nuts can be forced to screw onto them (Run them up & down the thread a couple of times to loosen them up) or of course that doesn't matter if screwing into plastic rod ends
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

Re: Vosper 68ft RTLL Rescue Launch build 11 years 11 months ago #9417

Thanks for the suggestions chaps, but ATM if I can't get it delivered, it doesn't get got.

Seriously, since last October I've only been out on two occasions (both to get my car fixed, ironically) that weren't for medical appointments.

Having said that, tomorrow I have an outing to visit some solicitors (meaning lawyers, if you're not English) - won't that be fun :whistle: I did look on Google Streetview to see what was nearby, but it's all sandwich bars, coffee houses, restaraunts, & Estate Agents. None of which, sadly, are likely to have M2 studding or bicycle spokes.

badword, that sounds such a middle class area - I must remember to wear jeans & say "badword" a lot to maintain my working class credentials. :dry:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.