Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: RC4WD Desert Storm Build 11 years 5 months ago #15012

Like the iPad idea - "she" could be anyone you wanted her to be, or 1 of a number even...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

RC4WD Desert Storm Build 11 years 5 months ago #15113

PARTS!!!1!1. Gonna get some stuff done :) First task will be modifying the front hubs to fit in the knuckles. 2WD hubs and 4WD knuckles don't mix well but I need them to so I can use the wheels I like.
Attachments:

RC4WD Desert Storm Build 11 years 5 months ago #15119

I'm tired and have to go to work soon so I wimped out and started on the rear end cause its easier. Now I need a nap before work.
Attachments:

RC4WD Desert Storm Build 11 years 5 months ago #15134

Went to work at 10pm got home at 9am and made a 4WD hub fit a 2WD carrier. Switched the plastic steering assembly for alloy and found out all my steering turnbuckles are too short. So made 2 from 4-40 rod. Passenger side done and time to go to bed. It's noon and my boy will be home from school at 4.

Re: RC4WD Desert Storm Build 11 years 5 months ago #15140

Oh my, what a project. :woohoo:

Re: RC4WD Desert Storm Build 11 years 5 months ago #15148

4-40... Question, in the US, I know you lot all insist on using imperial stuff etc, but what's the attitude towards small metric fasteners in the model-making world?
I only ask as here in the UK there's a definate 50/50 split, where the "proper" engineers insist on using metric (& hate anything imperial) whereas the "Model" engineers all insist on using imperial ME/BA etc threads & imperial measurements, & treat the metric system user as some kind of leper, a bit like the Caravan club's attitude towards tent owners...

RC4WD Desert Storm Build 11 years 5 months ago #15156

I have a distaste for imperial stuff. Metric is just an easier concept to grasp. But living in a small coal mining town small metric stuff has to be ordered from the net. The LHS is a 2 hour drive and they don't carry much in hardware or parts for that matter. That 4-40 rod is a "I need it now so I'll just get what I can" thing.

Re: RC4WD Desert Storm Build 11 years 5 months ago #15164

I'm having the exact opposite problem at the mo, trying to track down some round/dome head slotted 4-40 screws for an XR311. Other than paying 10quid for 2x HPI branded screws with wrong heads, it appears my options are limited... Gonna ask at my local engineering suppliers tomorrow, just to give them the chance to laugh at me!

I'm torn between my hatred of imperial (& slotted) fasteners in favour of fitting sensible headed metric ones, & keeping the car original in case of resale. Even contemplating buying 4-40 hex setscrews & machining the heads to look right, but I need 50+ of them of various lengths, & that job could be REALLY tedious! Other option is use M3 stainless cheese head, & again, hack the heads to match & vandalise the threads to be 4-40 (Pretty sure I've got a die somewhere, probably shimming a wobbly table or keeping a door open somewhere...)

Re: RC4WD Desert Storm Build 11 years 5 months ago #15166

I'm having the exact opposite problem at the mo, trying to track down some round/dome head slotted 4-40 screws for an XR311. Other than paying 10quid for 2x HPI branded screws with wrong heads, it appears my options are limited... Gonna ask at my local engineering suppliers tomorrow, just to give them the chance to laugh at me!

I'm torn between my hatred of imperial (& slotted) fasteners in favour of fitting sensible headed metric ones, & keeping the car original in case of resale. Even contemplating buying 4-40 hex setscrews & machining the heads to look right, but I need 50+ of them of various lengths, & that job could be REALLY tedious! Other option is use M3 stainless cheese head, & again, hack the heads to match & vandalise the threads to be 4-40 (Pretty sure I've got a die somewhere, probably shimming a wobbly table or keeping a door open somewhere...)

Try www.modelfixings.co.uk/ :)

RC4WD Desert Storm Build 11 years 5 months ago #15168

If you don't mind paying shipping from the states rtlfasteners.com has any kind of small screw or bolt you could ever want.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.