Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: RC4WD Desert Storm Build 11 years 5 months ago #15171

Cheers peeps! Like I said, I'll have a look in my local nuts n bolts shops first, see what the story is there, it's quite possible they stock the crappy things for the local boat & tractor duffers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

RC4WD Desert Storm Build 11 years 5 months ago #15172

Got a little more done tonight. Ground and filed the driver side hub and installed a 82t steel and alloy spur gear. If I'm feeling froggy in the morn after work it's time for a complete tear down so everything can get thread locked. Also need to trim the a arm pins and drill and tap the arms to capture the pins.
Attachments:

RC4WD Desert Storm Build 11 years 5 months ago #15181

Yay final assembly. Drilled and tapped all 4 a arms to capture pivot rods. Blue loctite on every bolt that goes into metal. Rx bound to Tx. ESC throttle points programmed. Lipo charged and balanced. Time to nap, then maiden run.

Re: RC4WD Desert Storm Build 11 years 5 months ago #15184

Am I right in thinking it's somewhat huge? What scale is it?

RC4WD Desert Storm Build 11 years 5 months ago #15186

Am I right in thinking it's somewhat huge? What scale is it?

Not real huge, about as long as a Clod. Supposed to be 1/10. 2.2 wheels with rather large trail truck tyres. Very heavy all steel chassis though. With the 8.5t brushless and 19/85 gearing she tops out at about 35 mph which is plenty for jumping beach fun.

Re: RC4WD Desert Storm Build 11 years 5 months ago #15187

break yer legs fairly effectively too I suspect!
Must be the pic angle - was looking at the Traxxas driveshafts & thinking it must be 1/6, 1/5 etc size

Speaking of which, I really surprises me there's no licencing covering use of 1/5 petrol stuff, they're more than adequate to do someone serious damage in the wrong hands

RC4WD Desert Storm Build 11 years 5 months ago #15192

It's a leg breaker all right. I scuffed my ankle and it hurts.
1/5 petrol has a lot of momentum. I converted a Hobbyking 1/5 mustang to brushless on a 12s lipo that was downright dangerous at 70mph.

Re: RC4WD Desert Storm Build 11 years 5 months ago #15203

sweet!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
Attachments:

Re: RC4WD Desert Storm Build 11 years 5 months ago #15211

I scratch-built my 5b-lookalike (There'as a pic of it in my gallery) using bits from a Shengqi Hummer & fabricated the rest. Did lots of engine mods & designed/built a tuned pipe to match (I've got some posh 2-stroke spanny design software). It was pumping out about 4hp, which made it pretty unusable as it kept shredding tranny parts (Including the hefty steel final drive gears & driveshafts!). Dunno what the top speed was, must've been about 70mph, all I know was our football field was suddenly too small an area to run it!

RC4WD Desert Storm Build 11 years 5 months ago #15217

At 4hp I'd say the clutch was a weak point too.
Well maiden run was a letdown. The steering leaves much to be desired. Ordered a 222 oz/in servo and some different hubs. Way to much slop in the hubs I modded even with some shimming. Broke out the caliper and hunted down a pair I think will work much better.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.