Keyword

TOPIC:

Adventures in painting 2 years 6 months ago #68848

Jonny, I've found that with the majority of eBay listings lately and I'm getting a bit tired of it. You type in the search for the thing your looking for and it comes up at say £3.95 you think that's a good price and when you click the link it goes to a multi listing with nothing selected, the £3.95 is for a sample or like you got a stamp sized piece of foam. When you select what you want its £6.50. 
I tried complaining but eBay do nothing. 
Just ordered some Tamiya and deans connectors and silicone wire, same issue, makes it a chore trying to find a proper listing.

Also ordered a 2S lipo and a lipo alarm, I'm getting ready to build Lunchy#3.  Hoping the brushless motor will come soon to complete the BOM.

Good idea for the chargers, I got a load of fans in my PC parts drawer. 
Regards

Lee
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Adventures in painting 2 years 6 months ago #68849

Thanks Jonny. 😊
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Adventures in painting 2 years 6 months ago #68986

My mum now has a fiat 500 too, a current model year (but pre-registered & therefore heavily discounted) hybrid, so of course I now have to make a diecast version of that to match my Dad’s “mint” one. 

The toy I used before was a “kinsmart” 1:28 pull back & go, but wanting to get one the same now, the covid/rarity premium was 100%+ :S 

The 1:1 car is in Bossa Nova White, which looks pretty much like your fridge in strong sunlight, very slightly off white on average, and cream in low light, so not the easiest colour to match. I had hoped that VW Alpine white (which I thought was a faded/lightly brown white) would be a decent match so I could just use an existing aerosol, but the sample (a Scorcher bonnet) I tried was way too dark and way too GREEN :blink: 

I then tried the smallest drop possible of X-9 Brown in 10ml of X-2 White, but brushing some on a scrap of styrene & comparing showed it was way too brown.  I then tried 2.5ml of the previous mix in another 5ml of white – so 1/3rd as brown. If anything that was still a bit too brown, but I didn’t really want to expend any more white paint on experimenting. 

I sprayed the 2nd mix (over white primer, over bare metal) with one of the Chinese DA airbrushes, TBH I really don’t like spraying white of any description, no coat looks heavy enough until whoosh, the whole panel sags :S … and comparing that today, just not brown enough :whistle: 

Today I got one of the badge SA copies out & used that at full bore, but at 20psi. The finish is less shiny and more orange peely than I’d like (though way better than with the DA airbrush), so I may clear coat it at some point. One of the door edges has a bit of a sag/run on it though :whistle: so I need to let that fully cure first.

1:24 car disassembelled & chemically stripped:

Paint samples ... the differences are slight here, but not when you see them next to the 1:1 car

Not brown enough:

The slightly more brown original mix:

:)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko, jord001

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Adventures in painting 2 years 6 months ago #68992

The joys of colour matching. And white is horrible to spray anyway. I don't like it either. The Mr Hobby Creos PS 290 is a great airbrush style spraygun and quite cheap too.as well.as.having Japanese engineering quality. 
Regards

Lee
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Last edit: by jord001.

Adventures in painting 2 years 5 months ago #69008

The joys of colour matching. And white is horrible to spray anyway. I don't like it either. The Mr Hobby Creos PS 290 is a great airbrush style spraygun and quite cheap too.as well.as.having Japanese engineering quality. 

I've had to invent a new word here - whackiciprecursivexclusion (being a portmanteau of reciprecursivexclusion and Googlewhack) - the search term "Mr Hobby Creos PS 290" results in 99% of links going to something slightly (or very) different, and the other 1% to the right thing, but with a clearly incorrect title :blink:

Through the fog though, I think I can see what you're getting at :L but TBH I just don't like gravity feed, even if I can see some advantages. The 0.5 nozzle size is a lot smaller than the 0.8 in my Badger 350 copies - which at 1/10th the cost are practically disposable ;)

Any "upgrade" for me is more likely to a cheap mini HVLP spray gun with a 0.8 or 1mm nozzle (ebay 255172316428 for example), I know it's gravity fed but the siphon feed ones I've seen I wouldn't want to use to creosote someone else's fence...

:)

[/b]
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Adventures in painting 2 years 5 months ago #69009

I know there's an out of place close tag there, but I'm up against "the can't edit twice" bug again :(
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Adventures in painting 2 years 5 months ago #69089

New mini spraygun, 0.8mm nozzle & 125ml paint cup. So glad I got one with the smallest nozzle I could find rather than going for the 1.2 or 1.5 I initially thought might be needed to replicate rattle cans :whistle:, even at 30psi instead of the recommended 43psi, it shifts a serious amount of air. I won't be so much moving the envelope, I'll be blowing the mother Hubbard across the room :D   

Not that I'm expecting any subtlety from it, but it'll come in handy for spraying big areas (like the Landy body & horsebox, recently), where even using one of the Badger copy 0.8mm SA brushes at Doodlebug engine sound-inducing psi was still tedious.

Note the adaptors, it seems to be a rule that no-one should be able to use any air hoses, tools or compressors right off the shelf, though 1/4" BSP seems to be becoming more of a default than anything used to be :whistle:  I really try to keep everything to 1 of two standards, and can usually find the "big" ones using some permutation or subset of "Euro series 25 high flow quick connect bayonet coupling" and "1/4" BSP adaptor". For the "small" ones the magic words are anything from "airbrush quick release 1/8" BSP coupling" and usually "5mm 1/4" adaptor" too, because nothing should easily connect to anything else in airbrushing either :whistle:   

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus, Lemsko, jord001, Ducksnuts

Adventures in painting 2 years 5 months ago #69093

Those small mini guns are great I have a 0.5 and a 0.8 but they wont run off my airbrush compressor so have to use the garage one. I have several spray guns ranging from a super cheap 0.5 K-3, 1.5 W-71 to DeVilbiss Sri Pro's and all having different connecting adapters. So I have a box of miscellaneous connectors from the various guns and kits. I brought 3 sets of connectors so that I have enough to go round and have some spare. All matching inc air blowers, tyre inflators and cut off tools. 
Regards

Lee
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko

Adventures in painting 2 years 5 months ago #69124

A long while back I bought three medium sized wooden boxes, these were initially sold under the lofty sounding name of “Loxley Howden Artists Storage Chest” (see eBay item 124878412340 for an example) but now available under any number of fake/no brand names at half the cost.

When they had a shelf to themselves, keeping micro lathe tools in one, airbrushes & jars in another, and small garden tools in the third this worked quite well, but soon they were relegated to the floor in front of my Ikea cabinet.

Retrievability suffered again when I built a support structure/tool storage box for the Unimat, and it seemed that the box I wanted was always on the bottom. Now, I have to move stuff from on top of, around, and in front of before I can even get to the stack. It’s not even if having stuff in discrete boxes is suited to my (what I strongly hesitate to describe as :whistle:) workflow.

Airbrushing something? It’s not like I need to carry all the airbrushes, paints I’ve previously mixed and empty bottles – usually just one of each, and not often very far. 

The paint storage rack has worked out very well, so I’ve requested another, this time with shelves to suit my 23ml PC paints, more 10ml Tamiya jars, and the slightly bigger (and more importantly, rather elliptically made) airbrush jars. 

I looked for a “Machinists Chest” type of box that could go on one of my shelves (for the airbrushes & overflow Unimat bits), but the only realistic new choice – Sealey model number AP1608W – is tool tall, and moving things around wouldn’t get away from their being a lot of space (top openable section) being wasted the way I’d have it set up. I’ve also seen them in the flesh & thought they were horribly made for the price, plus from what I’ve seen, most end up getting destroyed in the process of getting them to their end user :S

A better made alternative from the past is an option, but TBH I know I’d resent paying as much (or 2-3 times as much) for a chest that has had it’s locking front panel ripped of & thrown away to get at the tools, the chest thrown in a skip, then retrieved & artfully photographed with a 120 to 400 GBP price tag.  

I remembered I’d been through this when wanting a chest for the Boxford lathe – and ended up making (well, pinning & gluing) my own. It’ll basically be the same as that, but with the top, shallowest drawers missing. I know I’m paying through the nose to have the plywood cut & sent to me, but the alternative is to buy multiple 8x4’ sheets of various thicknesses of plywood, somehow get them here, store them, and have/house a big table saw – all to make a box (well, crate ; ) ) every few years.  Suddenly, paying someone’s “I don’t really want to do it but if you pay enough I’d find it hard to say no” surcharge doesn’t seem so bad :D  

A couple of photos, because other wise this is just a wall of text … I’m also thinking slightly less childish drawer handles & choices of colour :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, Lemsko, jord001, Ducksnuts

Adventures in painting 2 years 5 months ago #69131

For a cheapish table saw I'm using one of these:  ozito.com.au/pr...table-saw/
It's by no means a professional grade tool, but it cuts straight and is small enough to be carried and stored out of the way.  Only complaint would be the straight edge is a bit clunky, you have to make sure it's firmly locked.  Drilled couple of mounting holes in my bench so I can easily bolt it down when in use.  For large sheets, just use some boxes (or whatever i have lying around) to help support them.
The following user(s) Liked this: Lemsko

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.