Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Someone has made en effort to sell a WW1 11 years 9 months ago #10577

Radius arms (I probably mean sway bars or something like that) - the 2x thin rods that tie the suspension arms to the chassis - the rods themselves won't be a problem to make (I'll just copy the Quattro ones) but the posh metal rod ends will be a nuisance to obtain (I keep bidding on Hilux track rods to get a hold of some, bt they always go for silly money). I've got some plastic ones that are the right size, but it would be nice to have the proper thing (Like it's gonna matter with a rere body & a variety of repairs & fake bits!).
Still trying to convince myself I want to spend 40 quid on a toy car body, that & lack of rubber & a Willy is what's delaying me taking the plunge & starting to get on with it! Contemplating the "Make your own boots" suggestion, by the way, sounds possible depending on how much the high hardness silicone will cost, how much I'd need & how best to fabricate a reliable mould to do it. If I could be sure I could sell some sets to recoup cost of doing it, it would be worth having a go I reckon. Hmmm, gonna be awake all night thinking about that I suspect.
Another rag-top - love it!

I've started building up my Willy, so I'm beginning to get an idea of what I've got spare that might be useful for yours - though TBH, where I had duplicates I've cherrypicked the best/matching bits for my build:
* Radius Arms/balljoints: no :(
* Gears: diff gears & shafts, idler with shaft for lower gearbox & slipper clutch gear all all pretty good, shaft on the slipper clutch is not that good, metal idler for lower gearbox is worn pointy, plastic idler for upper gearbox & pinion are shocking :( / :)
* Part of new WW2 "K" sprue - parts 9 (windscreen Support), 5, 6 + two of 4 (bars + clamp bits that run between the two loops), 7 & 8 (angle bits from the rear loop - but no clamp bits)
* headlamps & steering wheel/column (used)
* used gearbox casings (three plastic & one ally), plus the triangular doodad on the bottom + two idler shafts, plus the two mazak ball parts, and the big ally tube;
* two rear hubs (used)
* four wheel inserts (plastic, not the foam);
* driveshafts;
* pair of trailing arms (one is a bit chewed up, the other has a bit of paint on it), + the rear shock mounts (both ally & brass), the four ball cup bits, and a pair of LWB rear arm pivots (both inexplicably bent);
* bag of used fasteners.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Someone has made en effort to sell a WW1 11 years 9 months ago #10578

I just cant picture why nobody makes rere Willy (and Blazing Blazer) tires, the market should be big enough. Maybe someday there will be a BB rere (pray)

From personal experience (and I know eddrick has had it too) - it's exceptionally difficult to sell homemade repro parts or accessories, let alone break even :(

Re: Someone has made en effort to sell a WW1 11 years 9 months ago #10579

Ah... just committed myself & lashed out for body bits....
I won't know exactly what I'll need until I rip it to bits, but I know thre's something horribly wrong with the gearbox, so I may well come begging you for some bits!
For some reason I don't like starting a project until I can see I've got or can get everything needed to do it without stopping, so it could be some time yet.
Here's a good question then - what differences are there between a LWB & a SWB (Other than the distance between front & rear wheels) - is it done with just the ally brackets or are there some other special bits? Anybody got any ideas why Tamiya "upgraded" the SWB to LWB?

Re: Someone has made en effort to sell a WW1 11 years 9 months ago #10580

Re: tyres - on the face of it, & assuming all went to plan, it'll cost about 20GBP per tyre (Possibly per pair) JUST for the 2-pack high hardness silicone. Add on a bit for time & effort & you'd be looking at say 30 quid a tyre, & who's gonna pay that?!
Further looking might turn up some cheaper liquid rubber that would do the job, I don't know if latex could be made harder, but it's definately loads cheaper.
What you need is proper rubber, which needs heat, chemicals, angry stirreramometers & proper metal mechanical moulding hingmas

Re: Someone has made en effort to sell a WW1 11 years 9 months ago #10581

I just cant picture why nobody makes rere Willy (and Blazing Blazer) tires, the market should be big enough. Maybe someday there will be a BB rere (pray)

From personal experience (and I know eddrick has had it too) - it's exceptionally difficult to sell homemade repro parts or accessories, let alone break even :(

Yeah looked into that myself, but I was actualy thinking in the direction of HongKong or China (anybody an idea were RC4WD gets its tires made?)

Re: Someone has made en effort to sell a WW1 11 years 9 months ago #10582

Here's a good question then - what differences are there between a LWB & a SWB (Other than the distance between front & rear wheels) - is it done with just the ally brackets or are there some other special bits? Anybody got any ideas why Tamiya "upgraded" the SWB to LWB?

quite a lot, apparently - check out www.tamiyaclub....4612_4.jpg & www.tamiyaclub....4612_5.jpg .

As to why it was "upgraded", my guess would be that people were finding that oncer they'd got their Willy up it was very difficult to get it down again - especially with 7.2v power :)

Re: Someone has made en effort to sell a WW1 11 years 9 months ago #10584

From what Andrew (Former Barney's Model Shop bloke) was saying back in the 80s, the Blazer wasn't popular & few sold (If you were gonna remortgage your house to buy a toy, you'd buy the posh Hilux version) which is probably why there's so few of them about now.
There's no reason why a rere Blazer wouldn't re-appear, after all the Bruiser & Hilux have (Escapes me why the Hilux ended up on the rubbish high lift chassis when the Bruiser is so similar to the original though), but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't, being the runt nobody wanted & all.
I will look into the viability of reproducing tyres, but I suspect it'll turn into a financial nightmare long before any saleable items get pumped out!

You can get a new set of genuine tyres for 60 to 80 GBP, used sets 20 to 30 GBP ... I don't know what someone would pay for a repro set ... maybe 20 GBP? :cry:

I can't see why people get enthused by the Blazing Blazer, yes it was based on a geniune vehicle, but it was one that had the ugly stick taken to it :S

What I think, and what anyone thinks in the west is of no consequence to Tamiya as far as re-res go, as far as I can tell - to me it seems that two cars per chassis is inevitable, and it's the 2nd best (as fat as Tamiya are concerned) that gets produced first, then Tamiya's "best" second, although I think production costs will be a larger part of that decision now ... what would it take for a Mountaineer re-re? Different boxart, a slightly revised manual, different stickers & omit the sleeper cab from the Bruiser.... got to be cheaper than the new body for the BB, or for the Hilux 4x4 - which yould be my second choice for the chassis :(

Re: Someone has made en effort to sell a WW1 11 years 9 months ago #10585

Re: tyres - on the face of it, & assuming all went to plan, it'll cost about 20GBP per tyre (Possibly per pair) JUST for the 2-pack high hardness silicone. Add on a bit for time & effort & you'd be looking at say 30 quid a tyre, & who's gonna pay that?!
Further looking might turn up some cheaper liquid rubber that would do the job, I don't know if latex could be made harder, but it's definately loads cheaper.
What you need is proper rubber, which needs heat, chemicals, angry stirreramometers & proper metal mechanical moulding hingmas

Does it have to be that hard? And do they have to be a traditional tyre construction? What about a self skinning (closed cell) black foam "donut"? I'm thinking that would be much easier to make a mould for, and if they end up a zero cheaper, then poor wear wouldn't be an issue?

edit - 30 GBP a tire ... maybe if you made them pink, dug up packaging that proved they were a period upgrade, then waited for the ink to dry ... ;)

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Someone has made en effort to sell a WW1 11 years 9 months ago #10586

Yeah looked into that myself, but I was actualy thinking in the direction of HongKong or China (anybody an idea were RC4WD gets its tires made?)

Ah yes, I see what you mean - change the number of paddles very slightly, change the lettering to "Beach Tyres Limited" & there's no copyright issue ;)

Re: Someone has made en effort to sell a WW1 11 years 9 months ago #10638

Found some Willy boots for you eddrick - cgi.ebay.co.uk/...0944674785 - 55 GBP + 4 GBP postage for a pair of used tyres :S

I don't know whether to call that profiteering, being totally unrealistic, or someone just chancing their arm, but I paid less than half that for a set of 4 :blink:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.