Keyword

TOPIC:

Hop-up motors possible 11 years 4 months ago #16776

I expect that this question has been asked somewhere before, but can someone tell me what kind of motors can be used without needing to change gears etc. - in this case, for a Blazing Star or a Mad Bull - the two cars my son & I mostly play with at present? (I am thinking of something like 13T or 17T, not brushless.) I know that I need a suitable ESC, just don't know if I need to change anything else...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Hop-up motors possible 11 years 4 months ago #16777

I see waterbok's working on something. Let's avoid a double post. :silly:

Re: Hop-up motors possible 11 years 4 months ago #16781

Hi Paul, the blazing star in its original setup got a 21T pinion. So if you are planing to go for a faster engine you would need a smaller one and better a steel one to reduce the risk of running hot.

Gear ratios TA02
Pinion Spur 74T(standard)
16T 11,27
17T 10,61
18T 10,02
19T 9,49
20T 9,02
21T 8,59

Are you driving the Blazing Star in onroad or offroad setup? the size of the wheels are also of influence on what motor/pinion combo you can aim for. more or less torque needed.

Re: Hop-up motors possible 11 years 4 months ago #16782

I see waterbok's working on something.:silly:

admins :huh: shouldnt you be backing oliebollen? ;)

Last edit: by waterbok.

Re: Hop-up motors possible 11 years 4 months ago #16786

Without changing gearing at all, I'd same no faster than a 23 Turn motor in either ... if you're willing to fart about with the gearing in the Blazing Star, I'd guess a 19 turn motor would be the practical limit, even with the smallest possible pinion :)

Re: Hop-up motors possible 11 years 4 months ago #16795

:silly:
On my TA02 limited edition I mounted a 12t double and on my clio I mounted a 13T triple but with it I only had 4 minutes of run. It was a dragster. On my TA02 I have the small clutch and a 14 or 15 teeth pinion I think. The TA accept a lot of eavy duty motors. I can make burns with it...

Re: Hop-up motors possible 11 years 4 months ago #16797

Here's an indication of what Tamiya recommends for DF-01s:

And here 's a post with some gear ratio theoretics.
Practically, you could put upto about 200W in it.
If it's put together well, with ball bearings and all...
That would be about a generic 10-12 turns motor!
But I think you'll have much fun off roading with a 19T pinion and a 19-23T brushed.

Now back to the oliebollen !

Re: Hop-up motors possible 11 years 4 months ago #16800

If you use a 13 turns on the Blazing Star you must use a steel 16T or 17T (no more) pinion gear.

Also the aluminum option motor mount is a must. You can't use the DF01 chassis without this option or you will break the motor mount and the spur gear.
At the end you also need to strengthen all the rear gearbox, particularly the top gear cover.

Don't know about the other car.

Max

Last edit: by Kontemax.

Re: Hop-up motors possible 11 years 4 months ago #16802

Goos tips there, Max. :y:
Steel pinion, alloy motor mount and strengthening the rear gearbox cover are indeed wise things to do...
Fitting a better main drive shaft isn't a bad idea either.
Be careful though Paul, them DF-01s are real hop up money pits.

I don't think the DT-01s offer many options - only a 17 or 19T pinion.
With the big wheels on the Mad Bull, the 17T is preferable in any case.
Recommended upgrade for the motor is probably a Sport Tuned or maybe slightly faster.

Re: Hop-up motors possible 11 years 4 months ago #16805

Carries Mad Bull has an old Kyosho 480T (I think...it's green anyway) brushed motor in it, & it's quite mad - run time on a 1400mAH NiCd is around 5 minutes. It's got a Tazer 12T ESC in it & standard pinion, & it cracks rear wheel hubs....

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.