Keyword

TOPIC:

Richard's 4x4 Lunchbox with DF01 drivetrain. 3 years 4 days ago #65922

Thank both of you, replied on PM.

And finally the 4x4 Lunchbox is standing on it's wheels for the first time 
Had to borrow my wheels and tires from one of my Midnight Pumpkins, as I do not own a stock Lunchbox atm.
I have made it so the front wheel is in center of wheelarch when it reaches full up travel.
As I don't have the correct suspension arms yet, I don't know how much travel I will get with that setup.
But there is space to move the chassis back a little as well move the rear gearbox forward if it comes to that.
Very glad to see how this turned out.

As you can see, it's very wide at 34cm. Lunchbox are 29cm.
My new suspension arms should bring it back to stock Lunchbox width when they arrives.

For now I just made some links to make it able to stand on the suspension of its own.

Rear.
The new under chassis is 4mm off center to the left, I need to investigate what causes this.
Some of the mounting holes may need to be sloted to have some adjustability of the chassis.

Measured and it' is 34cm wide.

In the end there will be added side panels to the chassis to not give the 4x4 chassis to much. Think Nissan King Cab chassis look.

When the new suspension arms arrive, I can then make new shock towers if needed and adjust the wheelbase and fore aft movement of the chassis if needed.
Then I can finalize the steering setup and after that complete the internal of the gearboxes, mount driveshaft and mod a new propeller shaft.
Before I know it will be finished.

Also thinking of make a wheeliebar to give back some of the iconic Lunchbox look.
Not sure if it is needed regarding the performance as the big tires may be a tad too big for the gearing to make it able to pop wheelies.
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou, stingray-63, Al, silvertriple, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by caprinut.

Richard's 4x4 Lunchbox with DF01 drivetrain. 3 years 4 days ago #65923

I like the width. A mix of a car crusher and a stadium truck. 
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Richard's 4x4 Lunchbox with DF01 drivetrain. 3 years 3 days ago #65935

Its great, i love the fact that you are making this from parts. I hope to do something soon, not sure what it will be yet. In the meantime I ihave some tyres to reshape. 
Regards

Lee
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63

Richard's 4x4 Lunchbox with DF01 drivetrain. 3 years 3 days ago #65940

Looking forward for the real suspension triangle, as here it is quite large for a Lunchbox...

That being said, I really like the idea of 4WD Lunchbox... Maybe you could consider even something more like a maxi mini lunchbox, able to rotate in wheeling while doing those major mods... :-D
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Richard's 4x4 Lunchbox with DF01 drivetrain. 3 years 3 days ago #65952

Its great, i love the fact that you are making this from parts. I hope to do something soon, not sure what it will be yet. In the meantime I ihave some tyres to reshape. 

Thank you!
I love to play around with parts

Richard's 4x4 Lunchbox with DF01 drivetrain. 3 years 3 days ago #65953

Looking forward for the real suspension triangle, as here it is quite large for a Lunchbox...

That being said, I really like the idea of 4WD Lunchbox... Maybe you could consider even something more like a maxi mini lunchbox, able to rotate in wheeling while doing those major mods... :-D

Me too!
I hope it works out like I planned to 
Later I want to get hold of a Lunchbox JR and turn that into rc. There is a few videos on YT which feature a rc conversion, one is from a Japanese chap.

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, silvertriple

Richard's 4x4 Lunchbox with DF01 drivetrain. 3 years 3 days ago #65954

I would like already find a cheap lb jr... 

Richard's 4x4 Lunchbox with DF01 drivetrain. 3 years 3 days ago #65955

Later I want to get hold of a Lunchbox JR and turn that into rc. There is a few videos on YT which feature a rc conversion, one is from a Japanese chap.

I definitely want one at some point to sit on the shelve next to the big one. It is looking much more like the real one than the mini one, which requires at least different tires and wheels... And anycase, I think I'm due to forget the mini Lunchbox, as my son has definitely taken it :-D
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Last edit: by silvertriple.

Richard's 4x4 Lunchbox with DF01 drivetrain. 3 years 3 days ago #65956

I have played around with different parts from my part bins.

I fitted TA02 rear arms to see if they could work and like I suspected they are too short for my use.
But as you can see this give me some measurement for my next DF01/TA01/2 based conversion project.
Yep gonna be a 4x4 Hornet. Grasshopper tires was all I had atm.
Width was nearly perfect, 218mm vs 223mm on a orginal Hornet. So these arms I can use for that project 
Sorry about the pic quality, my phone was nearly dead.

Up front I had fitted TL01 uprights for mock up. These would give a crazy amount of bumpsteer, so I had to find something else.

Found these in my parts bin. Think they are TL01LA ones. Strange as I never had owned a LA kit.
Fitted it with TA04 kingpins as these uprights use M3 threads.
Later I fitted two spacer disc's out of 1.5mm styrene as these uprights are 23mm between mounting points (same as TA02), but regular TL01 is 26mm and something..

Also found I had fitted two different rear uprights, so I swapped out one of them for a like.

Don't think there is much I can do regrading progress before my parts starts to arrive.
Oh and the LA uprights needs 1250 bearings to make them work with my TG10 wheelaxles. My LHS do carry that size if I don't have any in my parts bin.

Might finish the steering bellcrank next as that nees to be done.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, silvertriple, jord001

Last edit: by caprinut.

Richard's 4x4 Lunchbox with DF01 drivetrain. 3 years 2 days ago #65977

Steering was on the agenda today.

Had to flip steering arms to the bottom and the spacer on top due lack of space.
Same with the link between the arms, the fixing point had to be closer to the servo as there was no room to run them in the factory holes of this Traxxas bellcrank.

And had to fit spacer between bellcrank arm and the rod from the servo to give enough room.
I don't like to have the pivot point up that high, but this is the only choice whit this setup.
Might make a brace so the pivot point don' flex as much.

Had to make steering rods to see if my steering system would work.
I tried to have the rod as paralell with the lower arms as possible.

And it works!
Even managed to have ackerman built into this (inner wheel steers more than outher)

Time will tell if it works in the real world 

The following user(s) Liked this: Edou, stingray-63, jord001

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.