Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 12 years 7 months ago #2812

More about the primer test you did please...

Not much to say really - the colour of the primer/undercoat can have an effect on how the colour coat comes out (which is why after priming, both my Sand Rover & Monster Beetle got a few coats of Silver before the reds (which can be slightly translucent - or have poor coverage ;) ) went on) - so as I wasn't sure which of two colours to use, or what primer to use (white or grey) I did a quick test of the four permutations ... in the end, the results were pretty marginal - the colours came out slightly brighter looking on the white primer, but with slightly poorer coverage ... as I have 2 cans of the colour coat, i can live with having to do an extra coat or two & gain some brightness.

...and the result of the Tyre soaking especially.

It's only been a few hours, I've been "basting" them & turning them over periodically, the tread is still a bit on the soft side, but the sidewalls seemed to have firmed up considerably, and I get the impression there are fewer cracks, or at least they are shallower, so i guess the glycerine is soaking in & swelling the rubber a bit...

In the past I've washed off all the glycerine, so the tyres end up looking a bit dry again - although some glycerine does come out again, over time, making them look newer - I think this time I'll try wiping them with a damp cloth so they still looked dressed when I've finished - I want them to look good in the "after" photos, not in a years time :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 12 years 7 months ago #2855

It's back - the zebra striped Cheetah that was on ebay a while back ( cgi.ebay.co.uk/...0723179752 , now for sale again @ www.ebay.co.uk/...0667024541 ... judging by the pic he's just robbed some bits off it :angry:

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 12 years 7 months ago #2861

Made a bit more progress, chassis parts have been cleaned - first a wipe down, then a soak in hot water & Persil, then a scrub with Fairy Liquid, any remaining bits of araldite scraped off with a blunt knife, alloy bits got a slight tickle with wet & dry paper; I've also sanded the front bumper mount (not in the picture) - that took 40 minutes with 240 grit paper :blink: - clearly the alloy is very porous...

Front end bits have been sprayed satin black, along with the grilles I've made for the rear deck, the winch needs some more attention yey; the front plastic guard/bullbar I've sprayed in Ford Machine Silver & clearcoat (again not in the picture)...

Dremelling the torsion bar mount went fairly well, I could use the bits again if I really had to ...

The car came with two underguards, both in pretty much the same condition - heavily scratched - I've sanded one with increasingly fine wet & dry, ending with well used 1200 grit ... I'll try rubbing compound & polish on it, but TBH I think it'll be easier to make a new one ...

Tyres have had the excess glycerine cleaned off (wiped with a damp cloth, blotted with kitched towel & then given a quick blow with a hot air gun to make sure they were properly dry for the photo), either 48 hours wasn't long enough, or glycerine is not that great - there's some improvement, but it's a long way short of miraculous ... although I've found before that the initial effect isn't that great - but seems to carry on slowly for a long time - I have some tyres I treated a year ago & all the cracking & dryness seems to have gone while they've been sitting on a car all that time :unsure:

I've also finished the colour coats (still keeping that a secret though, so no photos, at least not in colour until it's completely finished ;) ), so if the weather holds out I should be able to get all the clearcoat on tomorrow, followed by masking & spraying the roof later in the week ...

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 12 years 7 months ago #2862

Very Very nice Jonny!!
Body colour?
The suspense is killing.
Marius

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 12 years 7 months ago #2863

Very Very nice Jonny!!
Body colour?
The suspense is killing.
Marius

Well, I'll give you a clue ... it's not boxart :P ;)

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 12 years 7 months ago #2864

Out of a billion and one you eliminated one!
I may have to hang in there and see the finished project, because your clue system will out live me by the looks of it.
The wheels came out very well, you can only be chuffed with it. The under guard you may consider painting silver with Tamiya PS or fabricate one using thin aluminium for a more scale look (that is what I plan to do with mine)
Marius

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 12 years 7 months ago #2865

Jonny see step 25 Under guard in the 58004 XR311 manual.
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 12 years 7 months ago #2866

Jonny see step 25 Under guard in the 58004 XR311 manual.

LOL, you had to make it yourself on the XR311? :silly: The Cheetah manual shows it as a numbered part, so I guess Tamiya decided to do people a favour & precut it for them ... I just drew round the original & cut that out, I just measured it & it's a little longer at the bottom/rear end (slightly odd, because I thought the Cheetah was slightly shorter wheelbase), with the singel screw hole being a slot on the Cheetah .... interesting though :)

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 12 years 7 months ago #2869

I like the wheels dude. They came out real nice. They actually look quite new. You don't notice the hubcap piece you added for strength.

And the body came out real nice too. I can't believe it's the same wreck of a few weeks ago.

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 12 years 7 months ago #2885

I think this should be a virtual nomination for custom resto of the month... or something like that. ;)

Full throttle, I actually think I have read (in certain terms) what colour it will turn out to be...
But I'm not gonna give that away! :lol:

The "mark" for highly recommended threads! :lol:
Attachments:

Last edit: by Edou.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds