Keyword

TOPIC:

Pinzgauer 712 K 11 years 3 months ago #17311

Ok, so I've been wanting to start this project for a while now, but I had other things to do and finish. So after doing all my research, and collecting most of the parts, I'm finally ready to begin this life long dream of building a Pinzgauer 6x6.

The basic parts list so far:

TLT axles (4 of them, using 2 to make the centre axle)
Custom transfer case (built for the Land Rover)
Tamiya ESC
High torque servo
Leaf springs from Highlift
Misc parts and spares

Motor and gearbox, are a bit of a question at the moment. I've got a 4 hole Johnson mated to a HPI GRU, but I also have a motor gearbox from a Ryobi cordless drilling machine, if I can get that to work. Because that I 2 spd, it would work better...

Well, on to the pics. Here is a picture of the Pinzgauer 712 K I'm basing my build on.

Motor with HPI GRU

Ryobi cordless drill motor and gearbox

And the drive train

I'm busy working out the details with the floating rear axles, o more updates a little later.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Pinzgauer 712 K 11 years 3 months ago #17313

Progress...

Don't have much time to work on this at the moment. Probably no more than 2 hours in the morning, then my daughter wants daddy's attention... :lol:

But this morning, I managed to get a bit more done. I didn't like the ride height at the rear, so I inverted the axle holders on the leaf springs. Now it seems to be at the right height. Got the transfer case plate/front links holder mounted. Now I must make the link holders that go over the axles, don't know what they really called.

But here are some pictures for now.

And here is just a size comparison shot.

That's all for now, I'll have to fab up those axle links before I can sort out the shock mounting.

Happy new year for everyone...

Re: Pinzgauer 712 K 11 years 3 months ago #17314

I went to the shop yesterday, to grab a few things for our little New Years party, and to my surprise, I find the only Pinzgauer in South Africa parked next to me. Met the owner, a very nice guy, and he told me the long and difficult process of importing one to South Africa.

And the nice thing is, I now have a real example right on my doorstep, which I can go and take measurements.

Now this build is going to shift into high gear...

Re: Pinzgauer 712 K 11 years 3 months ago #17315

Thanks guys, well all I can say is... We have a running chassis.

Started like this today.

And ended like this

Used some HobbyKing 85mm shocks, removed the spring...

And the flex with the shocks attached isn't bad at all...

And of course the steering is made from some old Highlift parts...

Now I can go buy some styrene, and get cracking with the body...

Re: Pinzgauer 712 K 11 years 3 months ago #17316

Cool!
Couple of tips -
Don't run cordless drill gearboxes at high speed for extended periods, they get very hot & can deform the plastic casing & in some cases crack the (Plastic) ring gear. The more expensive ones are better as they have an alloy case, to which you can mount a heatsink to sort the problem.

Do you have access to steel pallet-banding? - makes ideal material for making leaf-springs, but you'll preferrably need a nibbler rather than aviation snips to cut it neatly

Re: Pinzgauer 712 K 11 years 3 months ago #17317

...oh & is the high torque servo an HXT one? If so, you'd be wise to stick an ammeter on it to see what the current draw is like - I had peculiarities with mine & a quick test revealed it was pulling nearly 1A when stalled, which is getting dodgy with 1A rated BEC Rxs (You can fry the Rx &/or possibly the ESC if you pull more than the BEC chip is happy to handle)
If it's a problem (Or makes you nervous) it's an easy fix - use a separate power supply for the servo, eg a 4xAA pack - remove the servo +ve pin only from the Rx, feed it from the 4xAAs, then join the -ve from the 4xAAs to the other -ves at the Rx

Re: Pinzgauer 712 K 11 years 3 months ago #17353

...oh & is the high torque servo an HXT one? If so, you'd be wise to stick an ammeter on it to see what the current draw is like - I had peculiarities with mine & a quick test revealed it was pulling nearly 1A when stalled, which is getting dodgy with 1A rated BEC Rxs (You can fry the Rx &/or possibly the ESC if you pull more than the BEC chip is happy to handle)
If it's a problem (Or makes you nervous) it's an easy fix - use a separate power supply for the servo, eg a 4xAA pack - remove the servo +ve pin only from the Rx, feed it from the 4xAAs, then join the -ve from the 4xAAs to the other -ves at the Rx

Thanks dude, but I make my own BEC using a 5v regulator. Pushes out 5v and around 5amps. The voltage is a bit low, but it works perfectly.

Re: Pinzgauer 712 K 11 years 3 months ago #17355

Awesome project, LB. B)
At what trial forum have you been moonlighting though? ;)

Re: Pinzgauer 712 K 11 years 3 months ago #17363

At what trial forum have you been moonlighting though? ;)

Ha ha, unfortunately I can't say that's what happened. It's just been life catching up on me. Church commitments, baby number two nearly here, house work, and business traveling.

That's all...

Re: Pinzgauer 712 K 11 years 3 months ago #17364

Good to see you post this beauty. :)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.