Keyword
Please take care when trading with people you don't know personally. To safeguard yourself as much as possible do/check the following:
- check the other party's ebay feedback (check his profile on TB, or ask for ebay ID) Send them an email through ebay to make sure.
- ask for references at this forum.
- check the members status on TB. Is this his first and only post or an experienced/well known member?
- Only pay through a secure payment provider, like Paypal. Make sure you pay for an item, not for a Service, as a Gift or other types of payment.
- Exchange real names and telephone numbers up front, and check them out.
- only offer shipping with full online tracking.
TamiyaBase.com is not a party in trades made on the basis of this site. Buyer and seller are sole responsible for their trades and for working out a safe way of payment and delivery.

TOPIC:

Re: wheels and tires 12 years 4 months ago #5672

Those should match. The tyres are often slightly wider than the rim...
Very cool thread them tyres have... B)

With the drifting purpose in mind, they won't have a whole lot of grip I suspect.
Softer compound will give more grip but wear faster.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: wheels and tires 12 years 4 months ago #5673

Before you commit yourself to small wheels can I just point out the effect they'll have on your gearing/speed - smaller wheels are equivalent to gearing "down", so lower top speed, I'm worried that with that big a change your grasshopper will go past you like "NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" - i.e., at very high revs but very slowly :(

Ordinarily you could put pinion with more teeth on to compensate - but not with the Tamiya rolling rear axle, which is fixed at 18 Teeth (Grasshopper size wheels) or 10T (380 motor or 540 motor pumpkin size wheels :(

Let me have a poke through my box of bits, I may have something more appropriate :)

i see what you are saying Jonny but i want it to be a carpark terrorist, fast accelerating,good cornering beast. i am not really bothered about flat out speed

Re: wheels and tires 12 years 4 months ago #5676

i see what you are saying Jonny but i want it to be a carpark terrorist, fast accelerating,good cornering beast. i am not really bothered about flat out speed

Fair enough :)

Couldn't find the wheels I had in mind anway, but they looked like the ones below, only white:

Re: wheels and tires 12 years 4 months ago #5699

If top speed with smaller rims DOES turn out to be a problem, put a high revving motor in it eg a 1/12th pan car one - low motor torque won't be a problem cos of your (much) lower gearing, so it should all work out to give "normal" hopper speed with the increased acceleration (I'm thinking a 13t/15t, but check your ESC could handle it). If budget's a problem, look at "Epic" canned motors eg "Revenge of the monster" - ok they're still 27t but the spec says they rev out to 27000rpm (Standard motors do about 17000 tops)

Re: wheels and tires 12 years 4 months ago #5700

i am now confused (again) i think i will bolt it all together and try it out, see how it goes then go from there :S

Re: wheels and tires 12 years 4 months ago #5702

Sorry, I do get a bit excitable at times... Er, ok, power, speed & torque are all directly related, you can't change one thing without affecting one of the others. If you fix your power input (7.2v battery), more torque (acceleration) = less speed, more speed = less torque. You've incresed torque by putting small wheels on (You've reduced the gearing) & sacrificed top speed. You can't mess about with the gearing to get your top speed back (& you like the acceleration, so don't want to), so the answer is to compensate for it by putting more speed into the gearbox in the first place (High rev motor). High rev motors don't have much torque for the same reason as above, but this doesn't matter cos you've already gained lots by putting your small wheels on. Does that make sense?

Re: wheels and tires 12 years 4 months ago #5706

ermmmmm i think so. i could swap the high revving motor over from my other hopper but i am not looking for flat out speed. i want a quick, solid handling car

Re: wheels and tires 12 years 4 months ago #5709

With the high rev motor (& smaller wheels), you SHOULD end up with loads of grunt/acceleration AND top speed nearly as good as the hopper in standard (540) form. Wheel-wise, what about those Dyna-Blaster ones on old matey's warthog? Mmmmm!

Re: wheels and tires 12 years 4 months ago #5711

wart hog wheels?????????? pics??????? my mate has sorted me with a set of rims :woohoo:

Re: wheels and tires 12 years 4 months ago #5715

Think you'd need adaptors for the fronts though?
Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.