Keyword

Poll: What are you charging? (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

NiCd
5 15.6%
NiMH
13 40.6%
Lipo
14 43.8%
Other
No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 32 ( Jack Willy Orz, cumminsdoc, Purple_rob, nivapilot, uncletom ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC:

What are you charging (with)? 9 years 10 months ago #29378

If the pack gets lazy again, I'll just hack it up in two (like I did here) and zap it that way.

Why would you need to split it to charge it as two 6v packs? You could charge the first 5 cells with the +ve connection via a croc. clip on the +ve battery out wire & the -ve connection on the tab between cells 5 & 6; the 2nd set +ve on the tab between 5 & 6 and the -ve on the black out wire ...
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What are you charging (with)? 9 years 10 months ago #29382

• Edou
  • Edou's Avatar Topic Author
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Indeed. I had not realised that. Didn't need to loosen that connection tab. :y:

Attachments:

Last edit: by Edou.

What are you charging (with)? 9 years 10 months ago #29386

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad

I need to rebuild one battery pack (found the culprit I murdered, it'll become 6V)...
And noticed the cells are glued together when it comes to length.
Has anybody tried this with CA or might Araltide be a better idea?

:n:

Insulators... went with soldering wires and putting them next to each other (not lined up in two rows) like is usually done with 6V.
Don't have tabs and wasn't really planning on ordering any.
I'd recycle the ones from the dead Bosch pack if they weren't near to impossible to remove.
Still interested what kind of glue they use (I'll google some more).

What are you charging (with)? 9 years 10 months ago #29389

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Put some of stingray's shrink tube on those 5 cells and it's suddenly a decent looking pack.
Getting charged a comfortable 2Ah (at 2A current after a 0.9V discharge).

:)

Don't really know what to use it for but it's better than having a limb 7.2V pack lying around.
Attachments:

What are you charging (with)? 9 years 10 months ago #29408

Can't say I've ever seen a diode fitted to any power tool packs - usually it's either just a thermistor, or thermistor + resistor combo.

From the words you posted, you can see why "intelligent" chargers knacker NiCds - when they start to get memory effect, your charger thinks it's done because of the low charge rate & switches off, making the effect worse.
NiCds benefit from abuse, & don't like being half-charged, low rate charged, or being left sat around doing nothing.
Battery power tools are great if you use them every day, but you're better with a corded one if you only pick it up once every 3 months, charge it, then use it for 2 minutes & put it away again, doesn't do them any good at all

What are you charging (with)? 9 years 10 months ago #29415

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
I'm tempted... there's a bunch of lazy packs on the local auction site being advertised as 'weak'.
Usually I whip mine out for a whole project but they obviously treated it bad at the DIY store (where I bought the used one).

What are you charging (with)? 9 years 10 months ago #29499

...only works with NiCds, Nimh tend to stay dead once they die.
I have to say though, the generic NiCd replacement packs I've bought for my Bosch have been better (Survived longer) than the Bosch originals, but they're nowhere near as good as Tamiya packs

What are you charging (with)? 8 years 2 months ago #36958

Apologies if this is common knowledge, but it's not in the manual and not accesible through the normal menu system...

I just learned that it's possible to calibrate the Imax B6 charger - and this isn't necessarily done in the factory, even for the genuine chargers.This is quite important as an under reading charger will overcharge your batteries, maybe not horrendously but you can increase their life expectancy & reduce the fire risk by a handful of percent for a few seconds work. If your charger is over reading then again you'll be a few percent off peak performance.

Both my genuine B6 chargers were uncalibrated from new, both were over reading by about 0.02 of a volt - safe, and a pretty trivial difference but a bit inaccurate. Apparently the fake (or "clone" if you prefer) examples tend to be worse

The procedure is:

1 - Charge a battery, that way you'll have a "known good" battery, and the charger will be up to its normal operating temperature.

2 - Turn off the power to the charger.

3 - Hold down the "Dec" and "Start" Buttons and turn the power back on. The charger will triple beep instead of the normal single beep. A different screen will come up (showing the voltage of the battery as read by the charger, and how many increments the charger has been adjusted by), then you can release the buttons.

4 - measure the actual voltage of the battery with a multimeter, and use the "Inc" and "Dec" buttons until the charger and multimeter read the same.

5 - press the "Enter" button to save (or "stop" to cancel). There will be 3 beeps as it saves, then a single beep as it reboots.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

What are you charging (with)? 8 years 2 months ago #36977

Here are some of my chargers.

Last edit: by yellowcat.

What are you charging (with)? 8 years 2 months ago #36982

Jonny, I need a second lipo charger. I saw on the bay several I max be at various prices. Is it a good charger? I need it for 3 sticks(for thé slash) and small 2s sticks. (Like rx aqs)
Thanks

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.