Keyword

TOPIC:

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 5 months ago #4715

thanks jonny, i want to keep it mainly white, same as the hopper but not adverse to adding a stripe or a sticker where needed to cover blemishes.but i think rubbing it down from the inside could mean a whole lot of work.
will plastic epoxy be good enough to strengthen where needed, also to fill the holes in the broken spoiler?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 5 months ago #4717

will plastic epoxy be good enough to strengthen where needed, also to fill the holes in the broken spoiler?

Honestly, no idea :)

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 5 months ago #4721

well white spirit seems to be doing a good job of paint removal, with the help of my wifes toothbrush :evil: without damaging the plastic

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 5 months ago #4723

rear spoiler has come up clean of paint. so, both top rear edge corners are cracked and the spoiler is quite scratched up. im thinking reinforce the edges of the spoiler with plastic epoxy resin then priming and spraying from the outside, i will do this first before i decide the way to go on the main body

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 5 months ago #4734

ok so i have stripped the paint off the shell and it has come up 99% spotless although now the paint is off it highlights a few issues.
the body is quite scratched up so i am thinking spray it from the outside.
the hole in the spoiler mount is ripped out so i got to figure out how to repair/modify/bodge it to fit ok before spraying.
the front is damaged and cracked so will need reinforcing some how.
one other question, on the front, just in front of the cutouts for the front suspension, there looks to be mounting screw holes, whereas there is nothing to screw them to. the l/h one is badly damaged, (see rubbish pic) so i am thinking shall i cut them out then reinforce the front end?
sorry about the crap pics but i couldnt find a decent background to highlight an invisible shell!

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 5 months ago #4736

the hole in the spoiler mount is ripped out so i got to figure out how to repair/modify/bodge it to fit ok before spraying.

I seem to remember using big washers back in the day when I had the same issue with my Frog ... a less ghetto approach might be to cut the remains flush, do the same on the other side & put a couple of small screws through the wing into a strip of plastic on the underside of the wing, then use the regular fixings through holes in that repair strip to hold the wing on... or maybe you should make your own wing :)

... one other question, on the front, just in front of the cutouts for the front suspension, there looks to be mounting screw holes, whereas there is nothing to screw them to. ...

They're for the headlights :)

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 5 months ago #4737

thanks Jonny, ive had enough messing round with headlights so those mounts will be filled or covered somehow.
as for the spoiler i will rummage around and see what i can use to make it look respectable

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 5 months ago #4750

Looks good so far. :)

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 5 months ago #4765

well the spoiler is repaired, mounting holes sorted and currently drying in a nice coat of primer.
the body is masked up, hole in the roof fillered, front end reinforced.......just one more dilemma, how to fix/repair or bodge the broken headlight mount.
i could cut it out but this would make the front end even flimsier, or i could try to repair it but it would be difficult to match the good side. any ideas?

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 5 months ago #4771

had a rethink. as i love black and white and the hopper is all white, i have decided to paint the hornet body all black,gloss black. therefore i have 2 different models with 2 different identities. and the black hornet will have a different race number

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.