Keyword

TOPIC:

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 6 months ago #3809

as an alternative, what options do i have to upgrade the shocks all round. what would fit?

With the modified lower shock mounts you linked to earlier and some generic 90mm oil filled shocks (says in the ad they will match) you would have a replacement for the rear at least.
I'll have to get back on an alternative for the front...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Edou.

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 6 months ago #3811

All this talk of Grasshoppers has got me quite nostalgic ... not for the re-re I have on the shelf which has only been run twice & is pretty uninspiring TBH, but for the one I had in my youth - first it was a Grasshopper, then it got Hornet suspension and a Hornet body, then finally, after I snapped one of the front shock towers off, Frog rear shocks on a Meccano tower, Wild One wheels & tyres, and an 8th scale Porsche 911 body, which I painted in green, with white stripes ...

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 6 months ago #3812

as an alternative, what options do i have to upgrade the shocks all round. what would fit?

With the modified lower shock mounts you linked to earlier and some generic 90mm oil filled shocks (says in the ad they will match) you would have a replacement for the rear at least.
I'll have to get back on an alternative for the front...

i have just purchased the modified lower shock mounts.
can you point me in the right direction as to what shocks to buy and where from as ive seen loads on ebay but i dont know which ones will be suitable.
thanks

Last edit: by agemax. Reason: added more words

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 6 months ago #3813

i am also contemplating buying one of these.....
www.ebay.co.uk/...031wt_1054

they look cool but you would lose the steering/suspension protection from the sticky out bits on the standard bumper.

any thoughts, good or bad?

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 6 months ago #3823

I've seen that bumper before and I like it a lot. But you are right about it protecting the front less.
Also this one will not give (like the plastic one) and is more likely to break off the chassis when you hit anything.
As long as that doesn't happen, the coolness of your ride is definitely increased. B)
They're more aesthetic than functional...

I'll have a look around for some 90mm shocks. ;)

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 6 months ago #3826

I like the price and quality of these shocks a lot :

Asiatees 90mm adjustable oil filled alloy shocks

But you might have to do some "on the fly" modding with the lower attachment though.
Could also be that that is very simple - you never know exactly with custom assembly...
I have always been able to fit a pair of shocks one way or another myself I have to say.

You could also go for some Tamiya CVAs #50520 and make them 87mm length.
A bit of synergy that this comes up in a few threads simultaneously. :huh:

These look pretty good to me also :

Guess they only have 'em in blue...

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 6 months ago #3830

see what you mean now Edou about the front bumper, i do tend to hit things a lot being a novice! i may buy it for the pose factor when its sat on the shelf and fit the original back on when i take it out.
i am more interested in replacing the front shocks really, they just look so tiny !!

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 6 months ago #3840

A front shock mod isn't that easy on a Grasshopper...
I only know of two ways. One is the (complicated) Futaba FX-10 conversion from Team CRP and the other the front arms from the Super Hornet and some very short oil shocks - which is more or less what I've done.
But I still want to do the CRP set up at some point if only for the challenge of building it. B)

Btw - would it maybe be a good idea to change the topic title to describe the Grasshopper mods more generally?
There's a lot of info to be found here by now. :cheer:

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 6 months ago #3841

ok i wil start a new thread, i just thought all these posts were connected to the original thread subject so i kept posting here, me bad! :cry:

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 6 months ago #3843

I don't think a new thread would be necessary - it's actually very good to keep all this info together. :)
Was just thinking about something like "Grasshopper mods and straight line stability" to cover the content a bit more. ;)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.