Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: 58087 Manta Ray Resto from 1990 11 years 3 months ago #17365

No, i don't want a classic body. Maybe a newer one. I'll have a look for it. I like the detailed style of the desert gator wing. Also i am thinking about how to color the body.

Btw parts arrived, now the car is running again:

But... i have a strange malfunction with ESC. It's a Tamiya TEU-101BK #45029. It's beeping when i am accelerating. Motor is running, no problem but the sound is strange! Sounds like something metalic is sliding or whatever but it comes from the control unit. Everythig is setup properly. I have an old Futaba ATTACK-SR remote. The receive is getting energy from the main akku (BEC). As i said, everything is working, motor sounds nice but the Unit is beeping :(

Also 2 things on the chassis are not nice... the rear gear box of manta ray has two rings left but the top force has two rubber rings between gear box and wheels. There is too much space and it is very loosely. The other thing is the thin and cheap main shaft. I have to change this...
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by funkindemup.

Re: 58087 Manta Ray Resto from 1990 11 years 3 months ago #17366

Nice parts. :y:
Can't really tell you anything about the ESC...
I do know the issue of loose dogbones though. They can be killer on ball diffs especially.
My own approach is to put an O-ring on each side.
Gets rid of the slop and normally doesn't introduce extra unwanted friction.
Or put in some universals of course.

:silly:

Re: 58087 Manta Ray Resto from 1990 11 years 3 months ago #17368

ESC - what exactly do you mean "beeping"?
- the ESC (Or the motor) will make an electronic squealing noise at low speed which increases with pitch as you increase the speed, this is normal (The ESC fires power to the motor in pulses, more pulses per second means more power/speed. At low speed these pulses are slow enough to be at audio frequency, ie you can hear it).

If it's making a "beep-beep-beep" noise, it usually means there's an error, normally it means there's signal loss, but this would mean you wouldn't be able to control the car... It might be something daft like the neutral point or full-speed position isn't correctly set, so try re-programming the ESC. Note, not all transmitters are the same, they all vary a bit, so programming the ESC on one transmitter, then using the ESC with a different one might work on the face of it, but the actual settings could well be mis-matched. More likely, you've set the ESC up, then inadvertantly moved the transmitter throttle trim to a different position (Which will change the neutral point & full-speed positions)

O-rings behind driveshaft balls to take up slop & stop jamming - get some silicone fuel tubing & slice it up - cheaper than O-rings, has more "give" (So as not to introduce high loadings to the suspension & bearings etc) & you can cut it any length you like to suit any size slop-gap. I've also seen small springs used, again to stop the shaft-rattle but at the same time they're adjustable to suit your gap.

Back to the ally bits - If the shape at the base is critical, I'd need an original bit to grind a tool to match the shape, there's no other way of getting it right.
I can fake it, but I'll need some accurate dimensions, or a template to work to, (Or even a scan would do) but the finished shape would probably not be identical to the original.
As for availability & cost, plan is to make 1x set up to see how easy it is & how long it takes, to get an idea of whether or not it would be viable to do multiple sets. I've thought about maybe auctioning off this "test" set to the highest bidder, who would then donate the final value to the running of the site. We'll see...

Re: 58087 Manta Ray Resto from 1990 11 years 3 months ago #17370

Oh, nearly forgot - do the M3 tappings have to go all the way through the parts as 1x uninterrupted thread, or is it ok to tap each end halfway? - if they have to go all the way through, I'd have to acquire a long-series tap to do it, which would be a nuisance!

Re: 58087 Manta Ray Resto from 1990 11 years 3 months ago #17376

I interpreted "shape of the base" wrong earlier - the exact shape is not of huge importance. :y:
And a tapped M3 halfway on both sides would be fine...

:)

Re: 58087 Manta Ray Resto from 1990 11 years 3 months ago #17386

eddrick, the bleeping is loud at low speed and maybe it's less if i acc more but the engine is to loud to really recognize it. It's no "beep beep" from the ESC. It's a noise from the engine. One thing is a fact, it's louder when the engine is mounted in the gear box.
Car is working properly. I can drive forward/backward. It's my first ESC. Before i used the original one of the MR Package. I'll do some tests today with the old SC.
Thanks for the hint with the silicone fuel tube! I'll do it like that.

Re: 58087 Manta Ray Resto from 1990 11 years 3 months ago #17409

Sounds to me like what you can hear is the audio frequency generated by the ESC - hearing it at the motor is fairly normal, but it's more of an electronic squeak that gets higher in pitch the faster you go - sounds a bit like a (Electric) train pulling away from the platform, but a higher pitch?

Re: 58087 Manta Ray Resto from 1990 11 years 3 months ago #17415

The best is to make a Video and put it on Youtube. I'll do this tomorrow. With manual Controller there where no sound.

Re: 58087 Manta Ray Resto from 1990 11 years 3 months ago #17419

If it's long drawn out version of the beeping the alarm on a digital watch makes, but with the unpleasant harmonics you get when dragging your teeth across a blackboard, then that is normal for a Tamiya ESC... try turning the car on without first turning on the transmitter - it should make short bursts of the same noise :)

Re: 58087 Manta Ray Resto from 1990 11 years 3 months ago #17451

Yesterday i made a first ride with the car. I've used the old MR Body just to test the Engine. It was a disaster!

Car was running properly, but made still the very loud noise. Also sometimes the car just stopped on full throttle. I think the ESC is damaged. It can be the only way.
Then there come up some kids with a 130

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.