Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 3 months ago #6906

potential damage limitation?! B) lunchbox wheelie bar fitted.....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 3 months ago #6907

Nice one. That's some kinda stingy hornet! As in having the capability to sting of course. Not the ungenerous kind. :lol:

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 3 months ago #6925

put the smaller wheels on the front and took it for a spin. not good. :cry:
wont go round corners at all unless it is at crawling speed, mainly because the front wheels are not touching the ground!
they are quarter the weight of the big wheels. maybe softer springs in the rear shocks may help but i have decided i dont like the look of the small front wheels so the big bad boys are going back on again and i will work from there.
im going to swap the lunchbox uprights from the hopper onto the hornet tomorrow and see what difference that makes.
sorry no vids yet as the wife is working lates this week. maybe get some footage over the weekend :)

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 3 months ago #7065

appreciate the feed back. i dont want to buy a motor thats only going to last a few runs,would this be a better option?
www.ebay.co.uk/...905wt_1054

right so the motor came in the post today.......but i was out so i missed it :cry:
i can pick it up from the sorting office tomorrow.
is it a 10t pinion i need for this motor to fit on the hopper, like this one..
www.ebay.co.uk/...500wt_1069
that is what is on the hornet, the bigger motor, that i think is faulty that was on the hopper has an 18t pinion. will that fit or is it too big?

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 3 months ago #7067

appreciate the feed back. i dont want to buy a motor thats only going to last a few runs,would this be a better option?
www.ebay.co.uk/...905wt_1054

right so the motor came in the post today.......but i was out so i missed it :cry:
i can pick it up from the sorting office tomorrow.
is it a 10t pinion i need for this motor to fit on the hopper, like this one..
www.ebay.co.uk/...500wt_1069
that is what is on the hornet, the bigger motor, that i think is faulty that was on the hopper has an 18t pinion. will that fit or is it too big?

I'd try the hackmoto motor on a 18T pinion :)

edit- ... although it does depend on which tyres you're using ...

edit edit - the pinion you linked to is fine for a 380 motor, but for 540 size you need the longer one (due the spacer needed to get the mesh right moving the motor over) - like this one:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 3 months ago #7068

ok thanks jonny, i wasnt sure if it would be physically to big to fit the gearbox?
would save some money if it does fit.
im using it in the hopper with the chrome wheels and Knobbly tires

edit. im an idiot! the new motor is a 540 size as was the one fitted with the 18t pinion so it should bolt right in

Last edit: by agemax. Reason: im an idiot

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 3 months ago #7132

oh BADWORD!!!!!!!!!!! been to the sorting office to pick up what i thought was my new motor and it wasnt, it was my lunchbox uprights. i thought it was too quick for delivery from hong kong but the guy i bought the uprights from said they would be posted 1st class standard,not recorded delivery.
oh well,they are fitted now and with the wider hex spacers its looking good,and the wheels dont hit the side bars i made now on full lock :woohoo:

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 3 months ago #7134

Nicccce... B)
I thought it was a bit fast for your motor to arrive. Stuff from Dinball takes about two weeks in my experience.

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 3 months ago #7156

bearing in mind the size of the wheels, at a standstill should they toe in,out or stay parallel? :unsure:

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 3 months ago #7165

bearing in mind the size of the wheels, at a standstill should they toe in,out or stay parallel?

I'd go for parallel... :y:
Think I did a switcheroo somewhere earlier in the thread but for straight line stability (remember that title? ;)) and speed toe out is not a good idea. Especially not on a car that's propelled like this.
With the big tyres I suspect it to be very stable but giving it a bit of toe in would increase understeer.
The play in the steering rods might naturally turn a neutral setting to a bit of toe out when the car is driven though...
Apart from driving characteristics, it also has an influence on (uneven) tyre wear.

Last edit: by Edou.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds