Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7191

ok i have fitted the motor and it runs ok.
trouble is i cant take it for a spin outside as my TX batteries are completely shot.the wife is bringing some home from work. plus i cant drive the thing and video it at the same time!
however, i did take a short vid of it spinning up in the living room. dont know if that gives any indication of how fast it will be but it sure looks fast to me :woohoo:
hopper

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by agemax.

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7198

why does nothing ever go right :cry: . while messing about through boredom, i was bouncing the rear suspension about :whistle: and found the rear shock binds on the motor at certain "angles" of suspension movement.
looks like i am going to have to fit the hornet bottom shock extensions so it clears the motor.
MORE BADWORD EXPENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7214

ok i have set up the steering on the hornet with neutral toe angle on the wheels so i will see how it goes. i have also "beefed" up the front shocks to allow for the extra weight of the wheels. i have fitted 2 springs, 1 inside the other and a spacer at the top. the suspension is now firm but still springy.
but......it seems to have put a camber on the wheels, so that the top angles outwards and only 2/3rds of the tire contact the ground. im thinking thats not good! :evil:

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7215

Try putting a bit of tube on the shafts, between the top of the chassis towers & the head - I'd guess somthing like 3mm should cure the camber issue :)

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7216

Try putting a bit of tube on the shafts, between the top of the chassis towers & the head - I'd guess somthing like 3mm should cure the camber issue :)

cheers Jonny, great idea. i have used some 3mm washers, 3 on each side now the tires sit flat on the floor! :woohoo:
plus that means i now have adjustable camber angle as well

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7229

yayyyyyyyyyy i got these for 99p. hornet shocks and complete bottom mounts. i only really need the metal cups on the bottom but its cheaper than buying a whole metal parts bag just for the cups. got a pair of shocks to play with as well now :woohoo:
www.ebay.co.uk/...500wt_1069

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7231

Great bargain! :cheer:

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7233

that parma motor went for

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7250

from this to this :laugh:

Last edit: by zephyrin.

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7256

Zephyrin the black one is a Hornet which i built from a load of spare parts i had.
this is the Hopper as it is now.....

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.