Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7295

i have found a tiny fan that i would like to fit on top of the ESC on my Hopper, just as an extra bit of cooling. it is 12v 38MA, 0.45W. it spins up fine on a 7.5V battery.
it is 25 x 25mm in size and about 5mm tall.
question is if i strap it to the top of the ESC do i need it to blow air onto the ESC or blow the heat away from it?
which is the best method? :unsure:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7298

I would let the fan blow onto it, although I think the extra cooling isn't necessary. ;) :y:

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7299

i was just a bit concerned about what Jonny said about everything cooking and melting with the bigger motor :silly:

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7300

If you run the 23T on road, you'll be alright.
Running it heavy duty might be on the edge of what your ESC can handle but it'll probably melt even with the fan then...
Officially it shouldn't be a problem. Max current of the motor is 16.5 Amps and that of your ESC is 20. :y:

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7301

ok some confusion going on here.
the Hopper is the off roader which has the 23T yeah racing motor in with the mitroniks sport tuned ESC and the Acoms receiver.
the Hornet is the tarmac racer with the 480 motor in it and the Tamiya ESC Jonny sent me along with a tamiya receiver

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7302

Okay, I switched the cars I guess. Thought you had a silvercan in the Hopper...
Should be within the specs anyway but a bit of cooling couldn't hurt then.
Might wanna check how hot it all gets before deciding if installing the fan is a necessity.
Cooling the motor is more efficient I think. It is already a high airflow specimen but something like this works well too :

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7303

maybe i should swap motors, put the 480 back in the hopper and fit the 540 into the hornet?

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7304

Main criterium would be to use the motor with the most torque for off road... or the one with the most revs for on road.
Dunno about the exact specs of the 480 but the Yeah Racing could definitely be suitable for both conditions. :y:

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7346

roll cage/camera mount made. body isnt screwed down so it may look a bit wonky.
6mm copper pipe soldered, screwed to the original resistor mount and resting on the Hornet top body shell mounts

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7357

got my hornet bottom shock mounts today, grafted the ball joints on the bottom of the CVA shocks (thanks Edou) and fitted on nice. clears the motor on the right and the gearbox on the left now. just needs a slither more shaving off the body to clear the top of the shocks now.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.