Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7934

right, i have decided to swap rims from the hopper and the hornet. my guessing is the bigger wheels would be better for off road use.
question is, i now need to get some proper off roady tires to fit the fit wheels, maybe similar to the lunchbox tires.
what is the correct way to measure the rim diameter and width to get the right size tires?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7943

what is the correct way to measure the rim diameter and width to get the right size tires?

Methods for measuring the rim diameter seem to vary... I also take the groove into account which differs 5-6mm.
Usually tyre width matches rim width quite well but Monster Truck tyres is another story.
Not a very clear RC discipline... :S

I am a bit confused now for which car you want new tyres though. :huh:
The pin spikes are very good for off road bashing and tyres that are too big won't work that well.
Unless you get another motor that'll produce enough torque...

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7950

i was thinking the hopper would be better off with the bigger wheels as it has the better suspension package, the Mitronics ESC and the better 23t motor. but i want to keep the hopper as the off roader and i dont know how good those tires would perform off road.
but then, i would have to get some sticky on road tires for the chrome wheels on the hornet :silly:

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7955

the bigger wheels ... the Mitronics ESC and the better 23t motor ... off road

I think this might be pushing the limit too much. You'd probably better stick to on road with the 23T and the big wheels.
Or use the same motor off road but with small tyres...
It's more tuned for speed but will do okay with some surface resistence I'm guessing.
Or of course, like I mentioned - get a Dirt Tuned (or similar) for the off road combo with the fat rubber.

:silly:

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7956

what is a Dirt Tuned? is that a motor or an ESC? got a link to point me in the right direction?

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7961

The price might be a bit steep, but not much more than new wheels. ;)

This or similar would suit your plan better...

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7965

so according to your motor spec thread i dont really need to buy a new motor?

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7966

Theoretically it should do quite well off road... not worse than the Dirt Tuned.
I'd still keep an eye on the temperature with the big wheels though. :unsure:

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7969

ok thanks i will do. i have been looking at one of those motor heat sink thingys that you mentioned earlier but i think it will hit the body with suspension travel. not sure

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #7970

i have been looking at one of those motor heat sink thingys that you mentioned earlier but i think it will hit the body with suspension travel. not sure

Can't try it on my own Grasshopper at the moment...

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.