Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #8072

ok, point taken thanks guys. cant really afford it anyway so i guess i will have to wait till i am loaded and got more money than sense or just forget the whole idea,
as Jonny said i would probably write the poor thing off on the first outing anyway :n:

Oh man, I had a paint scheme worked out for you & everything ...

;)
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #8074

haha cheers for the confidence Jonny :cry:
not Apollo 13 but Hopper 13 heeheee

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #8260

ok slight technical hitch. the threaded hole on the chassis at the front where the triangle piece screws on with 3 3mm screws has stripped and the screw wont grip any more.
is there a cheap and effective repair to sort this out? maybe fill the hole with epoxy and redrill it or has anyone got any better methods to fix it?
cheers

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #8263

ok slight technical hitch. the threaded hole on the chassis at the front where the triangle piece screws on with 3 3mm screws has stripped and the screw wont grip any more.
is there a cheap and effective repair to sort this out? maybe fill the hole with epoxy and redrill it or has anyone got any better methods to fix it?
cheers

Might sound a bit ghetto but I'd use a bigger screw :)

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #8273

i have wrapped some PTFE tape around the screw. seems to have done the trick. it screws up tight again now :woohoo:

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #8275

I just drop some CA glue in the hole. (super glue) I find that works very well. And I find if you use the right screwdriver, it works the best. (Number 2 phillips)

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #8276

i have the right size screwdriver, thats not a problem. its the hole in the chassis that is knackered.
if you superglue the screw in the hole, how do you get it out again?

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #8277

No you misunderstood me, you put the super glue in the hole and let it dry. Then after about 10 min you put the screw back in. Because super glue etches into plastic, it make the hole a bit smaller (reduces the holes diameter) and stronger.

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #8278

No you misunderstood me, you put the super glue in the hole and let it dry. Then after about 10 min you put the screw back in. Because super glue etches into plastic, it make the hole a bit smaller (reduces the holes diameter) and stronger.

oh i get you now, sorry.
good idea, i will try that out :y:

Re: hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 2 months ago #8279

It really does work. I do it to all my Tamiya threaded parts. They all will strip at some stage...
The following user(s) Liked this: agemax

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.