Keyword

TOPIC:

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 6 months ago #3650

gotta laugh, maybe i should get these for the winter haha :woohoo:
www.ebay.co.uk/..._643wt_821

:pinch: :lol:

I made some spikes (with drawing pins) from old front tyres once and ran it on the frozen canal. Even worked well too!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Edou.

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 6 months ago #3661

I made some spikes (with drawing pins) from old front tyres once and ran it on the frozen canal. Even worked well too!

Haha, I remember doing that with some worn out tires for my Sand Scorcher when I was a kid, and I'll second that it worked well!

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 6 months ago #3690

i have noticed that the front uprights on my lunchbox have a longer wheel mounting stub axle than the grasshopper.
they look like they will fit.
i am wondering if i fit these uprights with hex spacers for the new wheels would make any improvement, having a wider front wheelbase?

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 6 months ago #3691

The Grasshopper and Lunchbox do have a lot in common... so I'm (quite) sure the LB uprights will match the GH arms.
It could solve your previous problem of not being able to fit the new front tyres - being too wide.
Not sure how to visualize this though :

these uprights with hex spacers

But a wider stance is always a very good idea for a Grashopper. :cheer:

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 6 months ago #3692

the front wheels fit on the standard GH uprights with plenty of clearance. i was just thinking of the wider stance with the LB uprights

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 6 months ago #3693

If the only variable were to be the different uprights, there would naturally be no difference in stance.
Just more of the axle sticking out. And you would not be able to fixate the wheels either.
So if I understand it correctly, you want to fill part of the axle with a spacer to get the wheels further away from the arms?
What would you use for that exactly?

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 6 months ago #3694

if you read my other posts again on GH wheel spacers, i have some 12mm brass hex bar which i can cut to length. the wheels have the hex fitting so if i cut the bar to the correct length i can space the wheels out on the longer shaft.

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 6 months ago #3696

I was aware of your plans of course. Just trying to make a mental picture of it... ;)

Btw - I have also seen mods on the rims themselves to fit ball bearings.

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 6 months ago #3698

i am working on a bearing mod to improve the spacer mod. will let you all know if i work it out

hopping up a vintage grasshopper 12 years 6 months ago #3699

If that works out - it would be a better combination with the LB uprights I think.
You could use a (smaller) round brass profile then and maybe a flanged ball bearing on the inside of the wheel... B)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.